KnightOfPi

Book recommendations

Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:48 pm

Hello,

i'm looking for some book recommendations.

I'm a somewhat experienced Python Programmer, but do want to acquire some C++ skills for a better understanding of the Raspberry Pi drivers and tools. It would be great if the book would be somewhat practical and motivating.

Additionally, i would love to learn about microprocessors, bus systems and interfaces, ideally targeted at the RPi...

Which books do you recommend?
Check out www.knight-of-pi.org for many beginner-friendly tutorials!

kusti8

Re: Book recommendations

Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:58 pm

You probably won't find a book containing everything that you want. Python is the language that the Foundation supports, so most if not all books are going be about Python. There is the Raspberry Pi user manual, written by Eben Upton. I've never read it, but I've seen it at my local B&N. Looks good.

As for C++, there's this great list which lists very good C++ books:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3882 ... e-and-list

I'm currently going through the Programming: Principles and Practice using C++, very good book. C++ Primer was a little too dull for me.

I would also look at a Linux command line book. I've never used one (just picked up the skills along the way), but it's a good way to learn Linux systems in general of you haven't used one.

You could also learn some Bare Metal, and guides exist online for this.

Good luck!
Last edited by kusti8 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:13 pm

On most topics, particularly software, you can always start by seeing what O'Reilly & Assoc. have on the subject. They may not have the very best book, but it'll be pretty good if it isn't the best. I'm not sure what, if anything, they have on ARM processors.

KnightOfPi

Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:21 am

kusti8:
Thanks for the Stackoverflow link, the collection is amazing! I'll pick some of them...

W. H. Heydt:
Found a O'Reilly book about armv4 architecture from 2013, i'll give it a chance:
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780124080829.do

Maybe more specific:
Is there a book you know of which gives the best access to the Raspberry Pi Compute Module?
I'm assuming there will be a compute module for the RPi 2 and want to prepare myself until it's out...
Check out www.knight-of-pi.org for many beginner-friendly tutorials!

W. H. Heydt

Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:48 pm

UserX wrote: Maybe more specific:
Is there a book you know of which gives the best access to the Raspberry Pi Compute Module?
I'm assuming there will be a compute module for the RPi 2 and want to prepare myself until it's out...
The computer module is a Pi Model B with all interfaces brought to the edge connector on the card, so any programming for a B or B+ would run. When there is a "CM2" it will have the same SoC/memory as a Pi2B.

What I/O you have on a CM depends on what is supported on the carrier board.

Return to “Teaching and learning resources”