cchisholm

(Not so beginners) book for Raspbien

Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:36 pm

ii have been working in the IT field for thirty years, but all of that has been in primarily the (not so) wonderful world of Microsoft/pc's. I am now very interested in the Raspberry pi and by extension, Raspbien and Linux. I have looked at several books that make me wade through variables, control structures and other things who's variation from other languages could probably summed up in a couple paragraphs. I Am much more interested in the nuts and bolts of the OS that the pi depends on.

For instance I have been trying to understand the use and syntax of the more important and configurable scripts and files.

Is there a book out there that does not assume that the raspberry pi noob is also a total IT / development noob? I'll bet every one of you have a book like that laying around that you could recommend.

As my experience above might indicate, I am old....and just don't have the patience (or the time remaining) to start over in kindergarten.

Thank in advance for any suggestions.

Charlie

JRV

Re: (Not so beginners) book for Raspbien

Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:44 pm

Raspian is a port of Debian for the RaspberryPi.
You can probably find a Debian book, Google it http://www.debian.org/doc/books.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:59 pm

Check books by O'Reilly & Assoc. They publish a lot of Linux/unix books. You can ones that range from tutorials to reference handbooks.

I found and became an O'Reilly fan back when they called their works "nutshell handbooks" and they had the *only* book I could find that actually made it possible to learn to use the curses package.

cchisholm

Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:59 pm

Thank you both. I have started looking at the Debian book will also look into the suggested unix books. I am having a very good time learning how to use the Raspberry Pi, and learning more about the fundamental OS and it's parents will help me greatly.

Thanks again.

jcreasey

Fri May 08, 2015 12:27 am

While not about under the covers Raspian per se.....Packt just released a book I authored called Raspberry Pi Essentials... https://www.packtpub.com/hardware-and-c ... essentials
The book is aimed at teens and up with the learning objectives designed to introduce the reader to design thinking around microprocessor projects based on the Raspberry Pi rather than just entry level simple scripts.
Unfortunately, all of these books have to start with the installation processes, but I tried to have the reader build a development environment that will help them as they develop skills. The code for the book is all downloadable, and the majority in Python. I kept the Python simple, without using class modules, so all the code is as readable as I could make it. There is also considerable extra material in downloadable form (about another 30 pages worth) as I tried not to over simplify any project.
The eBooks are all on special at Packt at just $10, a bargain, though I'm biased of course.
You can get a taste of each of the chapters of my book at Safari books: https://www.safaribooksonline.com/libra ... 1784396398

If you are already an established programmer, it might be a fun introduction.

Return to “Teaching and learning resources”