Gavinmc42

Lockdown home schooling

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:08 am

With schools, cities and countries going into "lockdown" for unknown weeks/months/years how can we use Pi's for our kids education?

I am not just talking about coding but the entire school experience.
Can Pi's be used remotely for all subjects?

Uni's have online courses but what about Primary and Secondary schools?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

ejolson

Re: Lockdown home schooling

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:28 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:08 am
With schools, cities and countries going into "lockdown" for unknown weeks/months/years how can we use Pi's for our kids education?

I am not just talking about coding but the entire school experience.
Can Pi's be used remotely for all subjects?

Uni's have online courses but what about Primary and Secondary schools?
The Pi doesn't support the commercial cloud-based teleconference applications from companies that have offered free services and at which the various governments have thrown money. There is also the problem of not having a microphone input, though that is easily remedied with a USB microphone.

Since Bill Gates claims two months of proper quarantine is sufficient to allow people go back to work, it is possible the current epidemic will last long enough that an inexpensive Pi-based distance learning solution would be attractive to governments with less money to spend. I wonder if such a project could be done together by forum volunteers.

At present I'm busier than ever with the extra work of preparing online lessons and, of course, debugging the problems myself and others are having with the chosen commercial applications. There is a very narrow window of opportunity for something better, because once people figure out one thing, they're not going to want to switch.

Maybe the best thing at this point is for parents to devote a little more time with their kids and a Pi learning to program while building something. It could also be a good time to learn about logistic and exponential growth models.

Gavinmc42

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:20 am

It could also be a good time to learn about logistic and exponential growth models.
Watch reruns of "The trouble with Tribbles"?
Hmm, code that as a game?

I'm worried about the possible increase in violence going into "lockdown" with the kid.
Was hoping there was an off the shelf solution from some Pi school people.
The main reason we send ours to school is acquiring social skills, how can that be done at home?

Do I buy a 3D printer or a laser printer?
I suppose teaching him how to print a face shield might be a useful survival skill?
There is a very narrow window of opportunity for something better,
Depends how long this goes on for and how soon to the next one.
Our local library has gone into lockdown, so books are out.
Interesting times.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

rpdom

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:22 am

Or "More Tribbles, More Troubles", or "Trials and Tribblations"?

Too many tribbles in this house already :lol:
There is a very narrow window of opportunity for something better,
Depends how long this goes on for and how soon to the next one.
Our local library has gone into lockdown, so books are out.
Interesting times.
"Window of Opportunity" was a fun Stargate:SG1 episode :)

Our library is also in lockdown. I was a volunteer there.

"Interesting Times" is a good book :)

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:32 am

rpdom wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:22 am
Or "More Tribbles, More Troubles", or "Trials and Tribblations"?

Too many tribbles in this house already :lol:
Your tribbles have too many legs. It's the insects & spider that are going to win in this crisis.

Perhaps a variant on "Whack-a-mole" could be "Whack-a-Tribble".
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

tpyo kingg

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:50 pm

MOD: edited out some fluff

Anyway, as for the home schooling, the only rough edges I have encountered with the Raspberry Pi, as far as my tutoring work flow goes, is the inability to run Jitsi or other SIP clients on it.

For activities that are normally done inside the shell, including pair programming, one trick with tmux is to have overlapping sessions through a shared session group. The simplest way to share a single session is obvious, all log in to the same account and then one starts as session but the rest just attach to it. That makes it very distracting when flipping back and forth between windows and panes. A more productive way is for each participant, up to a small number, to log into the same account and then start their own named session but point it at the same group using the -t option.

Code: Select all

tmux new-session -s firstparticipant -t groupwork
and then

Code: Select all

tmux new-session -s secondparticipant -t groupwork
and so on. The individuals can then switch between the various windows at will, each of which has shared content. However, they only see the activity of the other participant(s) when they have the same window active.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:06 pm

I don't care much about Microsoft, but I do care about people coming here bashing them (or anyone else). You do it again, any of you, and you will get a ban. Might be short might be long might be permanent. Depends what sort of mood I am in, and right now, I am in a bad mood that will last about 12 weeks. Just so you know.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

epoch1970

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:57 pm

jamesh wrote:
right now, I am in a bad mood that will last about 12 weeks...
Progress! :)
jamesh wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:32 am
I'm just looking forward to being stuck in the house for the next 12 months...
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

jamesh

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:14 pm

epoch1970 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:57 pm
jamesh wrote:
right now, I am in a bad mood that will last about 12 weeks...
Progress! :)
jamesh wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:32 am
I'm just looking forward to being stuck in the house for the next 12 months...
I could extend...depends on whether the morons who seem to inhabit the UK actually start paying attention to what the scientists are saying.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:30 pm

jamesh wrote:
I am in a bad mood that will last about 12 weeks.
Day 2 of 84 in the Raspberry Pi Forum lockdown. I might make it to my 34th wedding anniversary on 7thJune, if she doesn't kill me first.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

epoch1970

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:02 pm

Well, I'm not too proud either of my fellow countrymen, right now. Individuals or organizations, everybody is acting silly. If they're acting, that is...

Fingers crossed, DougieLawson :D
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

jahboater

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:41 pm

epoch1970 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:02 pm
Well, I'm not too proud either of my fellow countrymen, right now. Individuals or organizations, everybody is acting silly. If they're acting, that is...
Not everyone ...
405,000 people signed up to act as volunteers for the NHS in the first 24 hours.
"We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk
about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth."
- Greta Thunberg

epoch1970

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:58 pm

jahboater wrote:
405,000 people signed up to act as volunteers for the NHS in the first 24 hours.
Yeah. Not in France. Don't get me started, I'm grumpy too.

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:24 pm

epoch1970 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:58 pm
jahboater wrote:
Yeah. Not in France. Don't get me started, I'm grumpy too.
@Epoch1970 bonne chance. I hope M. Macron can follow an example from Germany and the UK shambles.

Imperf3kt

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:35 pm

ejolson wrote:
Maybe the best thing at this point is for parents to devote a little more time with their kids
Alas, how do you propose to do that and still put food on the table and pay the mortgage/rent?

Forget the kids, how do I use a Pi to allow myself to work from home.. My job isn't the sort of job that can be done digitally and if I'm forced into lockdown I most certainly won't be able to sustain myself for very long without income. /rant

Getting back on topic, the only way I see to use a Pi for home schooling during this chaotic time, is to make use of Web based services and forget the x86 based software.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:46 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:35 pm
ejolson wrote:
Maybe the best thing at this point is for parents to devote a little more time with their kids
Alas, how do you propose to do that and still put food on the table and pay the mortgage/rent?
I was looking at the https://ABC.net.au news website for my daughter who lives in Perth. The four major Australian banks have already put stuff in place to allow you to not pay your mortgage for six months.

The most incredible thing here in the UK is the way folks are trying to deal with the kids at home for upwards of twelve weeks. There's folks streaming lessons on YouTube. I even saw a tweet about an online multiplayer version of Tetris on Steam. Happiest one of the day was the street of houses in So'ton singing happy birthday to eight year old Sophia.

You folks some 15,000Km (and more) and eight hours (until Sunday when it flips to seven) of timezone (and more in eastern Australia) away from the UK maybe able to use the stuff we've created while the UK is sleeping. Likewise we may be able to use stuff from Australia during our daytime. Add in some friends in California and we'll get the full 24 hour coverage.

Gavinmc42

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:26 am

I could work from home but most of the software I need runs on Windows.
That would require taking my PC back from the kid, hence there will be a lot of shouting.
A rigid schedule might fix that, which has some other benefits ;)
as for the home schooling, the only rough edges I have encountered with the Raspberry Pi, as far as my tutoring work flow goes, is the inability to run Jitsi or other SIP clients on it.
I have no idea what you just said, which is why I did ask.
Some education software are is still Flash based?
Does that work on Pi's?
Too many tribbles in this house already
For me it is Pi's, I'm still not convince they are not breeding when I'm not looking.

Got Firefly, Expanse and The Orville on DVD, so I'm set for lockdown.

I'm sure people in the Education departments are working on this?
Eventually they will have to bite the bullet and send you lot back to work.
I'm still at work, not shutdown yet.
Might have to take a break, sunbath and take a walk in the outside like the Brits are doing, when not telling the Police to p. off.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

Return to “Teaching and learning resources”