INTELich

Wifi Library

Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:42 pm

I am a beginner with the Raspberry Pi. I now have a 4 b and I want to use it as a wifi library at a school I am running in Africa. I want to load it with book resources and maybe short videos and then create a wifi hotspot for students to access these resources with their phones or tablets. I don't have access to the internet there so it wouldn't be on the web but more like a local network without the cables. Is this possible? If so, what are the steps I would need to take. Thanks

jbudd

Re: Wifi Library

Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:32 pm

I seem to recall a project called "Internet in a box" which did something like that

sutan

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:26 am

INTELich wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:42 pm
I am a beginner with the Raspberry Pi. I now have a 4 b and I want to use it as a wifi library at a school I am running in Africa. I want to load it with book resources and maybe short videos and then create a wifi hotspot for students to access these resources with their phones or tablets. I don't have access to the internet there so it wouldn't be on the web but more like a local network without the cables. Is this possible? If so, what are the steps I would need to take. Thanks
I'm in Canada helping out with and Orphanage in Uganda. I've been researching for a project idea... for you I was wondering why don't you get a MiFi unit from a provider (they are about 60 to 90 dollars) and set up a network that way. Then you could download your videos into your Rpi using the browser, and share that data on the local network.

An interesting pricing thing I found with MTN, they are selling "night shift" data for really cheap. So if you save your downloading to between midnight and 6 am the cost savings would be a game changer.

I'm actually wondering if I can gather video data during the day locally at the orphanage and then transmit it later during night shift. Kind of like a delayed video call device. Put it on a robot and it can be a helpful little droid. Help me obi-wan!

HTCpi

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:43 am

HI. I'm also using pi in Africa as a "self-contained" intranet for education purposes. Take a look at the Rachelpi project (you will need good internet or a friend out of Africa to download it. Then making copies/clones is easy) and the MoodleBox. Both are great initiatives. Hope it helps.

Return to “Teaching and learning resources”