User avatar
morphy_richards
Posts: 1603
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:26 pm
Location: Epping Forest
Contact: Website

Re: The Official Raspberry Filling : Call for Contributions

Mon May 21, 2012 12:38 pm

I think (2) would lead to (1).

Having a basic understanding first and then leading onto "how its done now".
(Although someone still needs to do (2), I would have a go but I have no Pi and wont have one for months)

h4ppycl0wn
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: The Official Raspberry Filling : Call for Contributions

Mon May 21, 2012 12:54 pm

morphy_richards wrote:I think (2) would lead to (1).

Having a basic understanding first and then leading onto "how its done now".
(Although someone still needs to do (2), I would have a go but I have no Pi and wont have one for months)
I appreciate your replies but on this one I'm not sure I agree. I consider myself a network "expert" when compared to the average non-computer person (perhaps nr might disagree ;) ... hello Neil) but I would not have a clue how to code a network driver or a new socket.... and really don't need to in order to understand and support networks.

I was just thinking a few RPi's connected via a simple hub gives a student their first opportunity to really play with network services without messing up their home or school network. The topic isn't really RPi dependent, its just the opportunity to play freely that creates an opportunity to learn.

I am also familiar with most people equating "The Internet" with firing up a web browser. What I'm suggesting is a very high level "How does the Internet work?" set of pages to de-mistify that.

Many resources already exist explaining the internet, etc. ... but with the RPi we can introduce a set of practical experiments on each topic to experience the theory, which I would think is a much nicer way to learn.

User avatar
croston
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:33 pm
Location: Blackpool
Contact: Website

Re: The Official Raspberry Filling : Call for Contributions

Mon May 21, 2012 1:01 pm

I have already written suggestion (2) to go into Raspberry Filling. (1) might be in another section - I'll have to ch eck. If it is not then it could be a useful thing to add.

User avatar
morphy_richards
Posts: 1603
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:26 pm
Location: Epping Forest
Contact: Website

Re: The Official Raspberry Filling : Call for Contributions

Tue May 22, 2012 7:57 am

h4ppycl0wn wrote:
[....] I would not have a clue how to code a network driver or a new socket.... and really don't need to in order to understand and support networks.

I am also familiar with most people equating "The Internet" with firing up a web browser. What I'm suggesting is a very high level "How does the Internet work?" set of pages to de-mistify that.
..
As a person who is trying to plan how to deliver computing next year... for Keystage 4 (14 to 16 year olds) / GCSE
3.1.13 Networking
 Client server
 Web application concepts
Which fits in well with what you want to do.

However - at key stage 3 (11 - 14) I need something which is simplified and fun and would allow them to experiment with core principles of communication without becoming overwhelmed by terminology and obfuscation. Imagine a kind of desert island scenario with a small number of working computers how do we enable communication ... that sort of idea.

nr
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:04 am

Re: The Official Raspberry Filling : Call for Contributions

Tue May 22, 2012 8:09 am

morphy_richards wrote:
However - at key stage 3 (11 - 14) I need something which is simplified and fun and would allow them to experiment with core principles of communication without becoming overwhelmed by terminology and obfuscation. Imagine a kind of desert island scenario with a small number of working computers how do we enable communication ... that sort of idea.
I may be showing my age here but didn't Cisco do something many years ago with The Flintstones enabling IP communication in the office? Started off with the basics of two machines with a crossover cable and a simple protocol to enable these two machines to talk, then built from there.

Erm, the more I think of this, the more I'm starting to wonder if I just made it all up after eating too much strong cheese at night.

Ta,
nr.

h4ppycl0wn
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: The Official Raspberry Filling : Call for Contributions

Tue May 22, 2012 9:01 am

morphy_richards wrote: As a person who is trying to plan how to deliver computing next year... for Keystage 4 (14 to 16 year olds) / GCSE
3.1.13 Networking
 Client server
 Web application concepts
Which fits in well with what you want to do.

However - at key stage 3 (11 - 14) I need something which is simplified and fun and would allow them to experiment with core principles of communication without becoming overwhelmed by terminology and obfuscation. Imagine a kind of desert island scenario with a small number of working computers how do we enable communication ... that sort of idea.
Thanks for that info, very useful. NR and myself can write up what it would take to get say 2 or more RPi's (some clients and one web server) talking web (http) to each other in short, simple steps. The idea would be as you say a "desert island" type environment, just the RPi's connected together in private. It would be great if you could review the content as we develop it to see if its useful.

User avatar
morphy_richards
Posts: 1603
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:26 pm
Location: Epping Forest
Contact: Website

Re: The Official Raspberry Filling : Call for Contributions

Tue May 22, 2012 9:01 am

I like the idea of that Flintstones thing, a sort of slightly wacky idea to allow younger kids to do "blue sky thinking" (cant believe I just said that - shudder) and it's a 'hook' to get them interested in the topic before hitting them with various protocols and sockets and so on ... Also the idea of cheese in general, I approve. :D

User avatar
morphy_richards
Posts: 1603
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:26 pm
Location: Epping Forest
Contact: Website

Re: The Official Raspberry Filling : Call for Contributions

Tue May 22, 2012 9:07 am

h4ppycl0wn wrote: It would be great if you could review the content as we develop it to see if its useful.
It would be a pleasure 8-)

Joefish
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:31 am

Re: The Official Raspberry Filling : Call for Contributions

Tue May 22, 2012 11:47 am

morphy_richards wrote:I may be showing my age here but didn't Cisco do something many years ago with The Flintstones enabling IP communication in the office? Started off with the basics of two machines with a crossover cable and a simple protocol to enable these two machines to talk, then built from there.

Erm, the more I think of this, the more I'm starting to wonder if I just made it all up after eating too much strong cheese at night.
Doesn't matter where it came from - this is exactly the way to make this interesting for kids.
A bit of Python that lets you type on one Pi and have your message show up on another, then reply, will interest kids. My brother did it with null-modem cables between STs and Amigas - it works. Trying to teach them HTTP protocols before you allow them to send a message will turn them right off.

Where you go from there is to hook them up with another class hundreds or thousands of miles away using exactly the same system. Then you might hold their interest long enough to explain how the internet works, and maybe demonstrate sending an email or fetch a simple web page by manually text-messaging a server to show what's going on in the background of every message they send or page they browse. Though it'd have to be a rigged server to prevent it (a) timing out and (b) dumping tonnes of CSS, image references, favicons etc. on you.

But kids will find their own things to do with communication systems. I say let them. Don't straight-jacket their thinking with protocols right from the beginning - you might as well just keep teaching them office apps.

So, if you want to teach them how to make a server, make a simple (anti 'hello-world') one that asks you for your name, replies 'Goodbye N' then disconnects you. Then let them make up their own services.

I know there are a lot of professionals on here who would like to pass on all of their knowledge, but consider your own education in maths and science - the professional aspects of coding like protocols can be left to college and university level.

CommanderCoder
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:17 am
Contact: Website

Re: The Official Raspberry Filling : Call for Contributions

Tue May 29, 2012 7:36 pm

My apologies for interrupting the thread, but:

The Raspberry Pi Education User Manual (Trial Edition) is coming soon. https://plus.google.com/110363834883985 ... cAn955EN1A

The Raspberry Filling Educational Manual (Trial Edition) will be available from the 4th June 2012. It will have a limited release to educationalists and those with a computer group which has participating children. This trial edition is purely to gather feedback upon the chapters so we know we have targeted the material appropriately. We'll also be adding illustrations and screenshots where needed.

User avatar
psergiu
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:36 am
Location: TX, U.S.A. (was: RO, E.U.)
Contact: Website

Re: The Official Raspberry Filling : Call for Contributions

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Now that the CAS Raspberry Pi Educational Manual v1.0 is out, is there any official way for creating translated versions ? As i said on the 1st page of this thread, i volunteer for the romanian translation.

Can we get the book's "source code" and generate the translated PDFs ourselves ? Or we have the submit the translated text to someone which will generate the new PDF versions ?

The PDF header shows that the document was created using "PDFill: Free PDF Writer and Tools" - that's a Windows only software for generating PDF's - in what DTP software was the book created ?

Thanks.

User avatar
clive
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1013
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: The Official Raspberry Filling : Call for Contributions

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:19 am

psergiu wrote:Now that the CAS Raspberry Pi Educational Manual v1.0 is out, is there any official way for creating translated versions ? As i said on the 1st page of this thread, i volunteer for the romanian translation.

Can we get the book's "source code" and generate the translated PDFs ourselves ? Or we have the submit the translated text to someone which will generate the new PDF versions ?
I have the source files (InDesign). I'll post something tomorrow (3rd Jan 2013) about this -- I need to go to bed now :)

thanks for the offer of help psergiu. Watch this space.

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”