mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: PC/GEOS

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:18 pm

Anybody remember PC/GEOS (or its "little brother" GEOS for the commodore 64), its now about 25 years old, but guess what its still around (but barely), see this article, the death of GEOS.

http://www.osnews.com/story/23.....h_of_GEOS_

quote from the article:

The current copyright holders (Breadbox Computer Corporation) believe the future is to position PC/GEOS as an educationally focused OS for low powered portable computers particularly for emerging computer markets in second and third world countries, not unlike the OLCP educational computers. To this end Breadbox Computer Company has provided free utilities to assist in the creation of educational content.

The great thing about (PC)GEOS has always been that it could do so much with so little.

Wouldn"t it be great if GEOS would make a re-appearance on the R-PI?

yes, its written for x86, and almost nobody supports it these days, but other than that it seems the R-PI and GEOS are a close fit!

rubikwizard

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:57 pm

I recently used GEOS on my (real not emulated) Commodore 64 to chat with people via an IRC client (geoLink) and also used the Breadbox application to use Twitter. There are several ethernet/NIC devices available for C64 users these days as well as mass storage devices using SD cards.

My C64 sits next to my main PC and I have a little space reserved for my RasPi whenever it arrives!

jdrintnt

Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:45 am

Has anyone tried running the Commodore 64 version of GEOS on the RetroPie OS/Emulator ?

Andyroo

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:11 am

Source code is on GitHub at https://github.com/bluewaysw/pcgeos

Not something I would like to convert - did a fair bit of 6800 <=> 6502 work many many years ago and glad that’s behind me now :lol:

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”