lightdn123

new to raspberry pi

Fri May 31, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi. The raspberry pi has been recommended to me by many people over the last few months. I thought i would look it up and give it a try. After looking at the capabilities of the pi i was instantly sold and have ordered one. After the setup process and all that. What is the first thing i should do? should i learn python? turn it into a media center? A mame emulator? all these ideas i will eventually do. But i am not sure what i should do 1st.

could you guys give me some advice? what were your fist steps? what was the first project you did?

thanks in advance

SimonSmall

Re: new to raspberry pi

Fri May 31, 2013 6:19 pm

How do you want us to answer that? The answer depends on what your interests are. The Pi does programming (lots of languages), media playing, controls electronics, and on and on....

If you are interested in something, and can find something in that interest to do on the Pi, you will be more keen to finish doing it. Otherwise, just pick something. The Pi is intended as something to encourage learning; you might want to learn something new, or learn something more about what you know about already

When you get your Pi, try something then. If you get stuck, post on this forum, saying what you are trying to do, how far you got, and what you are stuck on. I am sure lots of people will help then

ghans

Fri May 31, 2013 10:08 pm

Look at this :

http://www.themagpi.com

our favourite fanzine.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

danpeirce

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:59 am

The Rasperry Pi is a general purpose computer so it can be used in many ways. I played around with one a lot last summer and kept notes.
http://members.shaw.ca/danielpeirce/not ... ry_pi.html (edited -- update because page moved)
Everyone has a different background and different interests so there is no one right answer. From my point of view it provides an inexpensive way to add network connectivity to microcontroller projects. The intended purpose is to provide kids an inexpensive computer that they can learn programming on. At just $35 it is very attractive for use anyplace a computer would be handy. Especially if it would be handy to have a small computer that is light on power requirements.

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”