User avatar
sdse78
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:31 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Forum Help and Timely Replies

Thu May 16, 2013 2:24 am

It's frustrating to post questions here and not get any replies, or get one or two replies that leave a person hanging. Where are the dedicated Pi Power Users? I've learned a lot in a short time, but I was expecting to learn a lot more here by posting questions. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case though. Come out wherever you're hiding and start replying to legit questions please, we're all here to work together and help each other. :?

User avatar
DaveDriesen
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Top of the food chain
Contact: Website

Re: Forum Help and Timely Replies

Thu May 16, 2013 9:27 am

Hi -- did you just troll the forum?

Dave Driesen
Linux dev and oldskool elite

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 26879
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Forum Help and Timely Replies

Thu May 16, 2013 9:30 am

sdse78 wrote:It's frustrating to post questions here and not get any replies, or get one or two replies that leave a person hanging. Where are the dedicated Pi Power Users? I've learned a lot in a short time, but I was expecting to learn a lot more here by posting questions. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case though. Come out wherever you're hiding and start replying to legit questions please, we're all here to work together and help each other. :?
How rude!

This is a community of volunteers. They do not have endless time to respond to every questions. And of course, you may even be asking questions that no-one knows the answer to. Or you may be asking questions that have already been asked many times, so people cannot be bothered to reply AGAIN, to questions where you can already find the answers using Google.

It's a two way street.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

DirkS
Posts: 10395
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Forum Help and Timely Replies

Thu May 16, 2013 9:35 am

Double checking *where* you post may help getting answers. This post for example seems to more about community than education...

Gr.
Dirk.

User avatar
Burngate
Posts: 6332
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm
Location: Berkshire UK Tralfamadore
Contact: Website

Re: Forum Help and Timely Replies

Thu May 16, 2013 10:06 am

I've looked through some of your (14 to date) posts, and I'm not convinced that you're not getting replies. In fact I believe people have been really helpful.

If other people are like me, then we only reply if (a) we understand the question and (b) think we have something useful to say.
So if you're not happy with the help you're getting, then:
add more infomation
be more concise
look elsewhere - the answer might be out there waiting for you to find it yourself

User avatar
sdse78
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:31 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Forum Help and Timely Replies

Thu May 16, 2013 2:46 pm

First, my apologies. I'm not trying to come off as rude.

Second, If I'm posting questions here that probably means I couldn't find the answer by using a search engine.

Third, I agree there's other things going on in life, but if you take the time to attempt to help someone here, you should follow-up.

User avatar
sdse78
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:31 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Forum Help and Timely Replies

Thu May 16, 2013 2:49 pm

Burngate wrote:I've looked through some of your (14 to date) posts, and I'm not convinced that you're not getting replies. In fact I believe people have been really helpful.

If other people are like me, then we only reply if (a) we understand the question and (b) think we have something useful to say.
So if you're not happy with the help you're getting, then:
add more infomation
be more concise
look elsewhere - the answer might be out there waiting for you to find it yourself
Please take another look. You will find I have stale questions unanswered or concluded.

User avatar
sdse78
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:31 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Forum Help and Timely Replies

Thu May 16, 2013 2:52 pm

DaveDriesen wrote:Hi -- did you just troll the forum?

Dave Driesen
Linux dev and oldskool elite
Hello to you.. No I'm certainly not a forum troll. I'm merely a Pi user seeking complete answers.

User avatar
rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4257
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:16 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Forum Help and Timely Replies

Thu May 16, 2013 3:12 pm

If I am busy, then I probably never look at anything other than the first page of new posts. The traffic on here is so heavy that it is easy to miss a question that I can answer. It is permissible to bump a topic at least once, so long as you don't do it too soon. A few days, maybe a week, not hours. If you've bumped it once and still got no reply, (or if you are desperate maybe you bumped it twice with no reply,) then you are probably never going to get a reply.

I count two stale questions, and both of them seem to me to be rather tangled to answer. Which might be why nobody has accepted the challenge.

Nobody knows how your cousin has broken his WiFi, so any troubleshooting there would be very open-ended and involve an extra level of translation between you and your cousin. That's the sort of nightmare that has tech-support gods waking up in a cold sweat.

Regarding MobaXTerm, I think you need to google a bit more, get used to what it is and how it works. The best way to get support from volunteers is to demonstrate that you know what you are talking about and just need a quick answer to a simple question. I haven't read the thread, but I get the feeling that the full answer to your question might be very long.

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”