Jim JKla

VNC Client for RPI

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:17 am

This is related to this thread http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 07#p338435

I am looking for noob level instructions on how to st up an RPi as a VNC Client (There's loads on setting it up as a server I want the inverse)

I have a PC that can run Ultra VNC Server or Tight VNC Server but I want to log into this PC from a RPi so that the RPi mirrors and controlls the PC the controlled software that will be running on the PC has very little overhead the aim is to control that PC from a remote location.

There's details on why in the linked thread.

BTW I have seen the YouTube of the Apple Mac setting up the connection in reverse but there's two problems it lacks any detail on how at both the RPi and Mac end and secondly it uses a Mac. ;)

PS Nothing aginst Mac's I just don't have one. Its a money thing. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Jim JKla

Re: VNC Client for RPI

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:57 pm

Looks like I found a solution

blavery
suggested remmina as a solution over on the other thread this looked ok other than it needed a download and make and I have been looking for a noob proof solution.

This spurred me on to a bit of digging I went looking for tightVNC Client for Debian this pointed me at xtightvncviewer.

Method

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
startx
in the xwindow open an an LXTerminal
sudo su
apt-get install xtightvncviewer
xtightvncviewer
at this point you get an exceedingly small popup window into which I typed the ip address of my PC running the UltraVNC server
and in the popup password window entered the password.

Now there may be easier ways of doing this and ways of changing the resolution of the LXTerminal but for now it works now to go test it on the scoreboard.

Subsequent runnings only require open LXTerminal

Code: Select all

sudo xtightvncviewer
ipaddress
password
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

dz0rpw

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks for the above but this is still presenting a problem.

I use the Pi as suggested above to get remote access to my mac. However the screen resolution on the mac is high so vnc displays it in a window. When you scroll down...you can't scroll back up again...in fact and further moving of scroll bars doesn't work.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Cheers.

dajosco

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:09 pm

Hi everybody!. It worked for me, but I tried a different option: SSVNC:

sudo apt-get install ssvnc

Then I run in the command line : ssvnc

It pop up a window where you can enter the session info and change some configuration. It has a lot of different options that worked really good for me, you can even save different session with its configurations. If you run on full screen by pressing F8, you can access to the options and the change scale, color-depth, etc.
In my opinion it is really good vnc client.

Cheers!

goldenbucks

Sun May 10, 2015 1:02 am

SSVNC method worked really well for me, thanks for the information, I really appricate it I am very gratefu,thank you for giving such of this information, I have been frustrated searching and googling this kind of method for weeks, now I have found the solution for VNC viewer client with Pi, thank you again, I have my final year project that need to be done by the 21st June , and this method is the one of the ingredients of my project implementation, I have been 2 weeks left behind my schedule, I thought I would have lost, I am very new with Pi, Just started to play with Pi from 2 months ago, I am really a newbie with Pi and Linux/Debian, this kind of machine is too manual and new for me, once again I m very grateful thank you again

Rijnkels

Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:36 pm

I'm really nooby and new in the VCN stuff.

But if i followed the right steps there is now in front of my a programm called 'SSL/SSH VCN Viewer'.

VNC Host: Display
VNC Password:
Proxy/Gateway

I've red some tutorials but i have no clue how to set up the connecting. For instance what are the things that i have to prepare in windows? Could somone help me, or give a decent manual, so i can find out more about this stuff.

Thx

markdurbin104

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:16 am

Try:
The server's IP address and display 0 e.g. 192.168.1.222:0 for VNC Host: Display
Then your password for that server in VNC Password:
Leave Proxy/Gateway empty

rodoubleby

Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:15 pm

I know this is old but I only bought my Pi 3 in March of 2016 and I am learning. So thanks for posting it!

I was curious if it was possible to connect to my Windows computer from the Pi. I don't know why I need to connect to it. I guess, because so I can say I can. lol!
rdpconnetlaptop.JPG
rdpconnetlaptop.JPG (42.31 KiB) Viewed 17487 times
I installed remmina on my raspberry pi and was able to connect to my windows laptop with rdp, just fine. You have to go into your system properties on Windows, click on the Remote tab and "Allow Remote Connection", to allow the Pi to connect. Then login with your Windows username and password (might have to click on settings under that and add a user). It works for me! Though it has some lag, to be expected.

The only issue is when I do connect to my laptop, is it shows no sound for some reason. If you click on the speakers icon in the tray, it searches for a way to install it but doesn't find anything.

I am going to trying other ways to do the same and see what happens.
Last edited by rodoubleby on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rodoubleby

Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:26 pm

I just installed tightvnc viewer on my RPI 3 and the server on my laptop. Connect that way too and the sound works on the laptop, this way. Pretty cool!

Return to “General discussion”