morphy_richards

Re: kitting out a classroom

Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:54 pm

Fascinating.
When installing Debian Edu from a USB stick, it fails, reporting the base system could not be found in apt (or something like that).
Install the same ISO image from CDROM and it works just fine.
Lucky all these old hand me down desktop PCs still have DVD drives. You don't see that very often nowadays.

morphy_richards

Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:05 am

Skolelinux looks promising, on its own little mini network.
The setup we have gone with is
-old pc running ipfire as gateway and dhcp. Yet to investigate DNS.
-newish goodish AMD processor and 4gb RAM (but standard sata drive) skolelinux combined server, workstation, thin client.
+later today I will get some y9s to build a bog standard workstation and add it to the network.

I have no reason to doubt that this will not work next week when I remove the main zentyal server from my current proper cs network, drop in skolelinux and wipe edubuntu from PCs and replace with skolelinux(debian)

When using raspberry pis on the network we will use standard pi user and just use sshfs to allow saving / accessing work.

Tested skolelinux standalone on an ancient "designed for windows xp" desktop. Lovely!
Edubuntu on the same desktop? Joke.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=127862
Ps.
Useful tip for general administration of multiple user accounts here

morphy_richards

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:58 am

I was just returning here to look up the instructions for LDAP for Raspbian and thought I would post a quick update while I was at it.

So, now we have 3 classrooms (that used to have Raspberry Pi model Bs).
The rooms had an ICT "upgrade" and I managed to convince the bods in charge to (1) leave behind the old desktop PCs (which are in locked cabinet style enclosures under desks) and (2) supply some KVM switches.

They kindly did this last summer holidays but decided to unplug and remove all the B's and plug my (working)raspberry network into the old PCs in the cabinets that were running Windows 7 configured for a different network.

Had to quickly install Linux on all these machines. I went with Edubuntu at first but this did not work well. Then I looked into Skole Linux but it turned out to be not quite as out of the box as it claimed to be so finally went with plain old Debian. That works lovely once it's configured.

All the old Pis are still being used for lots of things in the meantime. EG. Many of them are out on extended home loan with students.

One room (my room) I am sticking with Raspberry Pi's however. Currently just upgrading everything in here to Jessie and then setting up an SD to use my Zentyal LDAP and file server for logins.

morphy_richards

Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:05 am

Couple of useful back links.
1- administration of user accounts in batch jobs by using shell scripts.
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=127862

2- working with clever CISCO switches
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=87589

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”