antolioli

Re: Self-Learning

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi to everyone! I'm an italian guy and i read about the raspberry on Wired. I'm really interested in the project and I'll buy the hardware as soon as will be possible. I don't know any kind of language, i know only their names (c, ruby, phyton, c++ etc.) and I would like learning them. But my question is: Can i learn by myself? Can you link me an easy website where I can learn a language? And the most important question: Is it a good idea to start programming raspberry device?

I'm really sorry if my english is not perfect.

oninoshiko

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:13 am

many of us are atleast partally self taught, so it's definitely possible.

I would reccomend avoiding C or C++ to start. Not that they are bad languages, but it's too easy to get caught up in the details of those langauge and miss the point of what you are learning, which is the logic of programming.

Maybe python or java would be good. I'm not a huge fan of python (I find the way blocks are defined annoying and error-prone), but it does get out of your way and let you really only worry about the logic, as does java.

Offhand, I don't know any good introductory sites, but google should be able to help! I would search for "<language> tutorial" or "introductory <language>" or something similer.

The raspberry pi is as good a device to learn on as any. It has the advantage of not being such a big deal if you mess up the install.

Insofar as your english. I've been speaking it my whole life, and it's not perfect. You're doing fine.

scep

Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:48 am

udacity.com have an excellent Python course just started (Monday 20th). No programming knowledge at all required, it really does start from scratch and teaches concepts as well as Python. You can sign up till FEb 27th. It's free and taught via videos and quizzes. Recommended.

a few other sites to check out:

codecademy.com

wibit.net

codingbat.com

learncodethehardway.org

nick.mccloud

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:18 am

These are RasPi specific and could be considered the gold standard!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ra.....iTutorials

antolioli

Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:06 pm

Thank you all! audacity is the best website i've found I already started the course

drgeoff

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:42 pm

antolioli said:

Thank you all! audacity is the best website i've found I already started the course

udacity is not audacity .
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”