JamieR

Re: Templates

Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:59 pm

I persnally would love to somday make a basic rpg. But it's hard to get started learning and i think its easyer to learn with a template. So i was wonder if people think its a good idea to make a basic template for maybe and rpg or other times of games for people to then make their own and add content add a story maybe re paint in charicters and such?

if anyone dose this or has done this for a rpg id love a link plz ty.

I didnt know if this was the right theard or if it should of been in features and request plz dont bite my head off.

Lynbarn

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:17 pm

Probably "Features and Requests" is more appropriate, but not to worry, it's here now

A search on Google for "RPG Template" reveals a number that already exist, including in Scratch, which is a language I believe is likely to be available on the 'Pi.

Whilst these may not be available for the 'Pi yet, I'm sure several will be ported to the 'Pi. As you suggest, giving a simple RPG game within a template that can be expanded by the user is a great way of learning without really realising that you aren't just having fun.

JamieR

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:23 pm

I never thought to try a google search that, i did try seach rpg makers but it helps to know what to look for thank you for your reply. I have the ability to make script in second life buy messing around with templates and copying paste lines and i know the basics structures of scripts in there from doing that. obvously thats alot more basic but its for an easy way to learn.

oninoshiko

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:44 pm

I was looking around for the same thing last night, and there are a number of them.

If you'll humor me, A few questions:

Do you intend something more along the lines of older FF-style? (probibly easier)

Maybe something with less "jarring" transisions between walking and fighting (a la Legand of Zelda)?

In either case frameworks for starting exist. In some cases there are even more general game-frameworks out there (like pygame).

For the ones implemented in a compiled language like C/C++ the hardest part is going to be porting it to arm and/or finding a port, I think. Once I actually get my grubby paws on one, it's certainly something I'm interested in haveing avalible.

JamieR

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:47 pm

I was thinking somthing like a super nintendo type rpg but more story based final fantasy style

JamieR

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:09 pm

I had a look round the scratch website and im not too excited by it based on the things people seem to have made with it, i was hopeing to learn somthing more serious that will be around for a while.

oninoshiko

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:25 am

Well, I just got booted after writing a nice, well written, well researched post. Unfortunately, that means you get the abriged version

There are a number of them, but most are for windows. I found about 5 in my search, only 2 of which really looked promising:

IRE - (BSD) looks well developed. Although music is .MOD and sound effects .WAV
Sphere - (unknown) also looks well developed, Documentation leaves something to be desired

There where a few others, but they didn't seem to be in a usable state. I'm really torn with which I would use. Maybe it would be possible to hack ogg/vorbis support into IRE?

JamieR

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:53 am

Wow thank you for going though all that trouble ill check them out.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:25 pm

oninoshiko said:

Well, I just got booted after writing a nice, well written, well researched post. Unfortunately, that means you get the abriged version

There are a number of them, but most are for windows. I found about 5 in my search, only 2 of which really looked promising:

IRE - (BSD) looks well developed. Although music is .MOD and sound effects .WAV
Sphere - (unknown) also looks well developed, Documentation leaves something to be desired

There where a few others, but they didn't seem to be in a usable state. I'm really torn with which I would use. Maybe it would be possible to hack ogg/vorbis support into IRE?

If you got the database error when trying to post, you should just be able to refresh, and it will try again. Maybe wait a couple of minutes.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

oninoshiko

Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:17 pm

JamesH said:

If you got the database error when trying to post, you should just be able to refresh, and it will try again. Maybe wait a couple of minutes.

it wasn't a database error. I was researching as I wrote and while I did paying-work, so I took to long and timed out my session.  I wish it would let me log back in and retain what I typed, but if wishes where horses....

It's totally my fault, I should have composed it in vim and posted. Please do not take my comment as a commentary on any of the work you guys are doing. It was just me being frustrated at the time.

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”