E

Re: Professor Pi character?

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:34 pm

I've no idea if it's of any use to those putting together education material, but I've doodled what I thought may make a nice 'guide' character, 'Professor Pi', so I thought I'd share. I envisioned him something like the dummy in the Dummies series, popping up now and again to give hints and advice. Anyway, as I say, no idea if he's of any use, but please feel free to use him (or not) as you wish.

scep

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:23 pm

Nice!

MINKIN2

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:47 pm

That is fantastic! I would vote for Professor Pi to be added to the tutorials if at all possible? He would be a great help for highlighting those little points of interests and as a visual aid for the younger Pi-oneers.

Prometheus

Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:06 am

He's very endearing - I like him.

tech guru

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:37 am

that is some nice work

lukegarratt

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:26 am

Love it

PeterM

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:21 am

Really great. Would you release the svg under a certain license?

mightygoose

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:06 pm

+1 for cool looking character

-1 for reminding mine of the paperclip from office... *shakes fists angrily*

+1 in the end for contributing, and he would look great in educational material.

CookieMonster

Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:44 pm

What he said. ^^^^^^

abishur

Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:12 pm

LOL, Professor Pi could be teaching that female student pi character that someone else just made

All you need is to add a dumb boy student whose always trying to do things without listening first and getting hurt because of it.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:23 pm

that's pretty good. it does give me the chills as it reminds me of clippy but for a certain age group it'd be perfect. If the foundation doesn't already have something similar they should definitely adopt this character for the documentation

AND!!!

That has to be the best use of the logo I have seen in a while, it makes me think that the logo the foundation chose was the perfect one for ease of use for adaptation

(no i am not restarting the logo discussion :D )

nithinsujir

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Really nice! What software did you use to do this?

Prometheus

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:56 pm

@The folks who are reminded of Clippy – I must say, he didn't remind me of Clippy at all. More like Vince from Art Academy for the Nintendo DS.

For those unfamiliar with it, as you might guess from the name, Art Academy is art-tutoring software. Vince is a painter character who serves the purpose of teaching you, and therefore preventing the included documentation from being boring by both giving it some personality, and a face to put the words to.

That sort of purpose, rather than Clippy's, is what Professor Pi strikes me as fulfilling.

Steady_Bear

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:04 pm

Abishur said:

LOL, Professor Pi could be teaching that female student pi character that someone else just made

All you need is to add a dumb boy student whose always trying to do things without listening first and getting hurt because of it.

I'll volunteer my services for that role. I make a great idiot.

And, back to a serious point... Great artwork! Shame I loath and despise any form of 'pop-up' help. But, I really am a miserable old grumpy so-and-so.

psergiu

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:11 pm

Proposed names for the 3 characters:

- Proffesor Pi - the one above, mentor of the Upton sister & bother:

- Berry Upton - The "OS-Tan" girl - smart but shy. Used for positive examples.

- Rasp Upton - The ADHD (not dumb) scruffy-haired boy. Used for negative examples.

E

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks folks.

I'd imagined him just used in the margins or as an aside, to highlight a particular point or tip, definitely not like the monstrous pop-over that was Clippy! It does give that impression from the first picture with the speech bubble though I agree - my bad!

PeterM - Yes I'll happily freely release the .svg file, it just needs some clean up first.

nithinsujir - I used Inkscape

Kokoro

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:08 am

I like the pi professor too. Definately more of a gender/age neutral character for general teaching.

I saw this thread just now and on seeing the pi professor thought of Mr DNA from jurassic park.... maybe used on a slideshow to show how pi boards can be used.

(this is my second attempt at posting this, for some unknown reason it didnt work first time, luckily i took a copy of the text before posting.)

Mezo

Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:52 am

Very nice work indeed, i think them half glasses would have suited more though, all them professors have them, they always seemed to be focused on a book & without moving there head they look up at you and say,,,

"yes what is it boy can you not see im busy reading?"   LoL

Mezo.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:42 pm

just messing around

liamfraser280

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:49 pm

Impressive

This should be the 'official' character if there is one!

Bradas

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:41 am

Just wanted to echo that this would be a great character for Tutorials. Especially great for teaching younger learners. Could definitely be an official "teacher" mascot; it's got exactly the right feel.

I also love the "pi-oneers" term someone used above.

Just to float an idea: why not have a good-example boy character, and a feet-first over-excitable girl character? Why push the stereotype that boys are adventurous and good-girls are quiet and wait until someone tells them what to do?!

This is a really exciting project.

Intend to contribute in a big way once I get my board.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:14 pm

They could both be feet-first characters, with the boy wanting to use it to organise his social calendar, and the girl using to control a steam catapult.

You could even make both figures gender-neutral with ambiguous names and let the readers make their own assumptions from their characters.

JonB

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:45 pm

I think Professor Pi has a creepy looking knobbly head, but would be great as a margin marker for specific points in the documentation. As to the boy/girl characters, good idea, but care is needed to avoid gender stereotyping.

Nex Pro

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:43 pm

SiR's logo scores high on technical merit, for me, by being well executed and humorous. good work.

I wouldn't profess to be an expert in these matters but, and it's a big but, does the professor's head still look like the Raspberry Pi logo when viewed in black and white and from a distance ?

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Perhaps a few more auditions for the part should be invited before we grab him by the lapels and thrust him into the pink-tinged spotlight of Pidom.

PS

Bob van den Born created 2929 "Professor Pi" comics

Here's a link

http://lambiek.net/artists/b/b.....an_den.htm

obarthelemy

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:54 pm

My psychology 101 tells me kids would rather have a mentor they can identify with, ie a kid too, not another teacher ?

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”