TheEponymousBob

Re: Apple Education Event

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:15 pm

Not sure if anyone else has been paying attention to Apple's event today, but their new textbook stuff - including free authoring tool - might be interesting in terms of community documentation.

obarthelemy

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:19 pm

Sure if it's an open format and doesn't for you to have a Mac + some kind of developper subscription for content creation and a iDevice +iTunes for content viewing.

TheEponymousBob

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:26 pm

obarthelemy said:

Sure if it's an open format and doesn't for you to have a Mac + some kind of developper subscription for content creation and a iDevice +iTunes for content viewing.

For some reason I didn't even consider the Mac requirement on the authoring app, which would rule authoring out for me.  As far as I can tell, there's no subscription, and while I don't know if the format is open, it's apparently freely available.  But none of those should stop someone who is willing and able to produce something - I wasn't suggesting official endorsement.

barnaby

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:06 pm

I don"t think the format is open. It looks like some sort of heavily extended version of ePub, which makes having interactive elements pleasant rather than bearable. It includes the ability to set questions that students can test themselves on. It can be extended by developers with HTML and JavaScript, which makes me think that it might actually just be heavily structured HTML.

IMHO it looks very well done and is highly likely to catch on in a big way for education, especially as content creation is free and easy for any mac users.

Whether or not it will ever become open or available for other devices, I don"t know. I doubt it. Apple do very well out of their more closed ecosystem, and it produces excellent results, albeit at an arguable cost.

Cheers,
Barnaby

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:38 pm

Most people would be happy with PDF I think - LibreOffice outputs it easily, and you can read it on pretty much anything. Even Kindles, although the formatting can go a bit weird sometimes.

ePub or one of the eBook formats would also be good - you could use Sigil or a LO extension to write that.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

TheEponymousBob

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:11 pm

JamesH said:

Most people would be happy with PDF I think – LibreOffice outputs it easily, and you can read it on pretty much anything. Even Kindles, although the formatting can go a bit weird sometimes.

ePub or one of the eBook formats would also be good – you could use Sigil or a LO extension to write that.

Not sure if you saw what they"re touting for their new textbook stuff, but it goes some way beyond PDF. Aside from obvious multimedia content, it offers various cookie-cutter interactive widgets, such as end of section quizzes, study cards and the like, along with the ability to write your own widgets with HTML5. It also has the advantage of keeping any sample code on the iPad, making it harder to copy/paste onto your RPi—easier to learn when you have to type it yourself

I only mentioned it as it looked like an interesting approach to teaching, and something I might have tried my hand at writing for the community. But like I said, for some reason it didn"t occur to me that the authoring tool would be Mac only. Senior moment I guess. I like my iPad a lot, but Hades is still a little too warm for me to consider buying a Mac.

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”