scott_pdp

PiNet questions

Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:40 pm

Is there is a single forum for PiNet questions? I am trying to change the memory split. The PiNet documentation says to go to the 'other' menu, but my 'other' menu in PiNet does not match the video tutorial for customizing the config.txt file. Am I using a newer or older version of PiNet? Mine says 1.1.8

So far, our PiNet experience has been quite positive. Right now, we're trying to figure out how to:

Make memory split changes
Perhaps change the resolution to 720p from 1080p
Find out why our Minecraft worlds don't show up.
Remove icons from the desktop
Easily remove packages

If anyone has experience with these questions/issues I would most appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Scott

fruitoftheloom

Re: PiNet questions

Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:14 pm

scott_pdp wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:40 pm
Is there is a single forum for PiNet questions? I am trying to change the memory split. The PiNet documentation says to go to the 'other' menu, but my 'other' menu in PiNet does not match the video tutorial for customizing the config.txt file. Am I using a newer or older version of PiNet? Mine says 1.1.8

So far, our PiNet experience has been quite positive. Right now, we're trying to figure out how to:

Easily remove packages

If anyone has experience with these questions/issues I would most appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Scott
https://mobile.twitter.com/pinetdev
Adieu

Gbaman

Re: PiNet questions

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:21 pm

You posted in the right place, PiNet doesn't have its own forum, but generally I keep an eye on the Raspberry Pi Forums. There is also plenty of other ways you can get support as well :D
http://pinet.org.uk/articles/support.html

As for the questions
For these, you need to be running PiNet Jessie. 1.1.8 is the old PiNet Wheezy. When you open PiNet it should prompt you about the upgrade, if not, you may need to switch your release branch (in the Other menu) to Development branch. The most recent PiNet Jessie release is 1.2.9.

This is an interesting one that has long been an issue with PiNet. My understanding is it is to do with Minecraft Pi itself and its expectation for the user to be "Pi", but I haven't dug into it much given the same world will just load back up if you hit create new.
This isn't an easy one, PiNet assumes you want them... In general a majority of teachers I have talked with prefer having them so it wasn't removed when the Raspberry Pi Foundation removed them.
Easily remove packages
This one also isn't easy. It is on the todo list to have a nice way to allow them to be removed, but I just haven't got to it yet. Joys of having such limited time already. What software were you looking to remove?

If you have any other queries, feel free to let me know!
Lead developer of PiNet, a free and opensource centralised user accounts and file storage system for Raspberry Pi classrooms used in over 200 schools across the world.
http://pinet.org.uk

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”