Anne_Carlill

Getting Scratch2 onto an R Pi3

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:17 am

Yesterday the Raspberry Pi foundation announced, with the new version of Raspbian, you could get offline Scratch2 for a R Pi3. I installed it (hooray!) then wrote up how I had done it on my blog: https://geekgran.wordpress.com/ . Someone has commented that there should be 'dist' in the 'upgrade' statement, i.e. ‘sudo apt-get dist-upgrade’ . Is this important?

I notice that javiertecteos here:

https://wordpress.com/read/feeds/841294 ... 1505238625

has translated my instructions into Spanish so I wouldn't want to have told him wrong.

bensimmo

Re: Getting Scratch2 onto an R Pi3

Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:00 am

The answer to that would be,"it depends"
Upgrade just updates packages it can update without messing about with other bits and bobs.
Dist-upgrade goes ahead and updates everything even if it needs new bits and bobs or needs to remove other bits and bobs.
From my use (by no means and expert), if it says there are packages held back, then run a dist-upgrade.

I have seen it where is say run 'upgrade' and then 'dist-upgrade', but I have no idea why that would be needed.

I tend to just use
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Of course always run 'update' to update the list

note I tend to use 'apt' now and not 'apt-get' as it a bit prettier but does the same job.

B.Goode

Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:19 am

Simon Long, who sometimes posts here, is the author of the blog post at: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/a-rasp ... ing-tools/

In that post he says:

Code: Select all

You can either download a new image from the Downloads page, or you can use apt to update:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

To install Scratch 2.0:

sudo apt-get install scratch2
Other than clarifying that the first two steps are pre-requisites for the third, is there any reason to think he is wrong?

Anne_Carlill

Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:48 pm

Hi bensimmo

Thanks for your very clear and helpful explanation. It sounds as if we can leave out the 'dist' this time as the upgrade added Scratch 2.0 with no problems. I do believe it's better for novices, like me, to choose the option that makes the least changes to the software. For example, I wanted to keep Scratch 1.4 also. I wonder if a more drastic upgrade would delete it. I don't know.

Anne_Carlill

Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi B.Goode,

Other than clarifying that the first two steps are pre-requisites for the third, is there any reason to think he is wrong?

No. You are correct. I didn't realise Simon had put some instructions, further on, down the page.

bensimmo

Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:02 pm

It doesn't remove 1.4

P.S. did you go to the Hull Jam a week back?

Anne_Carlill

Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi bensimmo,

P.S. did you go to the Hull Jam a week back?

Yes. Were you there? Claire Garside who shares running HullRaspJam with Jon Witts runs LeedsRaspJam too, which I nearly always attend. BTW, I run a little Raspberry Jam in the west end of York, mainly for complete beginners. Our next one is on Mon 17th July at 5.15 at Acomb Library (@YorkRaspJam). If you have any friends in York pls let them know. I don't want to go on Eventbrite until I get a bit more knowledge.

BTW We lived in Anlaby and Hessle for 17 years so I have a great affection for Hull and E Yorks.

bensimmo

Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:24 pm

Yes, if you remember or noticed someone jumping in sorting the serial problem out for the LoRA Hat, that was me.
Or I was the one with the 9yr boy in a wheel chair (came a bit late) and a 12years older boy who had all sorts happening on the Enviro pHAT.
Oh and that Jam cost me £16 as I definitely certainly absolutely had to buy him an Enviro pHAT 8-)

I live in Willerby ;-)

Anne_Carlill

Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:46 pm

bensimmo

Yes, if you remember or noticed someone jumping in sorting the serial problem out for the LoRA Hat, that was me.
Or I was the one with the 9yr boy in a wheel chair (came a bit late) and a 12years older boy who had all sorts happening on the Enviro pHAT.

Ah yes, I know.
Yes, I want an Enviro pHAT too!

Return to “Using Raspberry Pi in the classroom”