mattd2989

History of the Pi

Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:21 am

Good morning everyone. I am currently doing a project in college which will be implementing the RPi and Lego Mindstorm to hopefully create something interesting. For my theory I need to write about the history of the Raspberry Pi. There is an abundance of information on wikipedia which I'm pretty sure is accurate. However, I can't reference inforamtion form Wiki as it's not a reliable source.
So, my question is where can I go to find legitimate information about the birth of this technology? As i cant find it on this site.

Thanks.

Matt.

B.Goode

Re: History of the Pi

Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:03 am

mattd2989 wrote: So, my question is where can I go to find legitimate information about the birth of this technology? As i cant find it on this site.
Really?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/about/

RaTTuS

Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:04 am

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

mattd2989

Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:17 am

B.Goode wrote:
mattd2989 wrote: So, my question is where can I go to find legitimate information about the birth of this technology? As i cant find it on this site.
Really?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/about/
Yes really... I'm not sure whether you read the description properly or I wrote it poorly but I'm looking for the History of the Pi not what it is and what it does.

PeterO

Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:53 am

mattd2989 wrote:Yes really... I'm not sure whether you read the description properly or I wrote it poorly but I'm looking for the History of the Pi not what it is and what it does.
Did you look in the Foundation's annual reports on that page ?
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

fruitoftheloom

Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:03 pm

Eben Upton - The Story of Raspberry Pi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCt6d0SCxO4

Eben Upton, founder of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, talks about the Raspberry Pi, how it came to be and the ups and downs of bringing his £25 computer to market.
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

W. H. Heydt

Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:14 pm

mattd2989 wrote:However, I can't reference inforamtion form Wiki as it's not a reliable source.
Wikipedia generally includes citations to source documents. While you can't use Wikipedia itself (a secondary or tertiary source), surely you can use the references it provides.for sufficiently authoritative information or by seeing what is referenced in those links to get back to original sources. Of course, you may find that actual original sources aren't on line at all and you'll have to get "dead tree" materials to cite.

mattd2989

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:21 pm

Thanks for the help everyone you've really helped me out :)

MrMoke

Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:56 am

I'm guessing your college has issues about 'free editing' on Wikipedia, when you say Wiki? No problem, go to the references, further info and external links sections of the Raspberry pi Wiki page then verify them all yourself. Remember for college papers you're not verifying the original author, you are simply quoting them and referencing them in your bibliography, you should probably get a Pi and check out that at least some of the technical quotes are accurate to lend credibility to your quotes. This sounds difficult and a lot of work, I know; but then that's what college degrees were back in the days before the internet when you had to go and sit in a library and sift through books to find the information you needed rather than having google do it for you, don't be a part of the 'spoiled' generation.

Good luck with your studies.

seeoh9

Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:41 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Eben Upton - The Story of Raspberry Pi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCt6d0SCxO4

Eben Upton, founder of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, talks about the Raspberry Pi, how it came to be and the ups and downs of bringing his £25 computer to market.
This was very interesting, thanks @fruitoftheloom! :D

sarahgad

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:39 am

Good luck with the work, hope you achieve your goal.

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”