birv2
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Laptops and Pi's?

Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:28 pm

Is there a laptop that will take HDMI input from a Pi for display? Just doing some planning for my room for next year and trying to find a small form factor PC that I can share peripherals with a Pi.

TIA,
Bob Irving

ps -- not interested in vnc-ing...

rpdom

Re: Laptops and Pi's?

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:52 pm

Some super-expensive laptops have HDMI inputs (mine is pretty expensive, but only has outputs). Otherwise you could look for an HDMI capture device. Probably USB3 would be required.

kusti8

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:29 pm

Even HDMI capture cards are pretty expensive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

mikronauts

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:32 pm

Just use VNC or RDP
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

fruitoftheloom

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:51 pm

birv2 wrote:Is there a laptop that will take HDMI input from a Pi for display? Just doing some planning for my room for next year and trying to find a small form factor PC that I can share peripherals with a Pi.

TIA,
Bob Irving

ps -- not interested in vnc-ing...
Too expensive, unless you have a few hundred ££'s to spend....

...money that would be better spent on creating a good classroom environment.

https://pinet.org.uk
Adieu

mattmiller

Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:10 pm

Just an aside - why not VNC - that's the only cost-effective way of doing it with laptops (and laptops doesn't match up with you saying small form factor PCs??)

What is your actual end goal?
[edit} searched your other posts and see that you want to use Minecraft on the Pis - the only solution I could suggest is the new U4VL capture thingy that is supposed to work on Pi2 and Pi3 viewtopic.php?f=43&t=163738)[edit}

birv2

Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:04 am

Thanks for the replies. My goal is to have a set of desktops running Windows, and a set of Pi's. I want to be able to switch the display device depending on whether I'm using the PC or the Pi. As well, I'd like a small form factor, which is why I was thinking of a laptop.

I've tried VNC and I haven't found anything that works with Minecraft and audio. So that's why I'm investigating the above scenario.

Bob

peterlite

Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:15 am

My recommendation for fast VNC is x11vnc. I can watch video through it.

For sharing the HDMI input of a screen, I have a HDMI switch that was very cheap. It switched between three computers.

The third option I use is a monitor with HDMI, DVI, and VGA input. I can connect each input to a computer and use the selection switch on the screen. HDMI easily converts to DVI because they use the same signal lines. One of my computers has VGA output and feeds the VGA input. The VGA is a little bit fuzzy on HD display. The HDMI to DVI is as good as direct HDMI.

You can also get a KVM switch to cover HDMI, keyboard, mouse, and USB. This is the most expensive option and good for professional use.

When you share a display, you are stuck with a stack of keyboards. You do not have that problem with VNC or a KVM switch.

peterlite

Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:16 am

There is also the option of running a Zero as a gadget using USB.

Gbaman

Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:56 pm

peterlite wrote:There is also the option of running a Zero as a gadget using USB.
I doubt this one would really be an option, for 2 reasons.
1. Pi Zero is still only available in quantities of 1 per order from all major resellers.
2. It is based off the Pi1 chip, so speed wise isn't great.

Of course it is a great platform for stuff like robotics etc, using something like https://github.com/tomhartley/piShift.

I have personally yet to ever come across a laptop with HDMI in. I am sure they exist, but probably not the answer given will be expensive. Better answer I would say is desktops with KVM switch or a monitor with multiple inputs. If your monitors already support multiple inputs, you could pick up a set of the bargain basement KVM switches and use them solely for USB switching capabilities if don't want kids pulling out cables. Can pick up VGA KVM switches for stupidly cheap nowadays.

Although VNC is an option, it is a faff. Will be time wasted each lesson on it getting it up and running. Plus of course, doesn't work with PiNet ;)
Lead developer of PiNet, a free and opensource centralised user accounts and file storage system for Raspberry Pi classrooms used in over 200 schools across the world.
http://pinet.org.uk

birv2

Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:00 pm

@Gbaman --as always, the voice of reason. And experience with what works. Thanks!

ejolson

Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:06 pm

Gbaman wrote:If your monitors already support multiple inputs, you could pick up a set of the bargain basement KVM switches and use them solely for USB switching capabilities if don't want kids pulling out cables.
Laptops are great if the students purchase them and are responsible for lugging them about; less great if the school buys them and is responsible for maintaining them. This is because

. Repairing the screen or keyboard on a laptop is 5 to 20 times more expensive than a desktop.

. Expected longevity of a laptop is 1/2 to 1/4 that of a desktop.

. Initial cost about 2 times that of a desktop.

. Monitors and keyboards need to be purchased separately for the Pi.

. Batteries need replacing at least once during the lifetime of the laptop.

. It is difficult for a teacher to charge 30 laptops in preparation for a class.

. WiFi on laptops isn't fast enough for network boot images and centrally administered system updates or maintenance.

As said before, laptops are great if the students own them and take responsibility for then. Otherwise, they are expensive, inflexible and difficult to maintain.

On the other hand, there are lots of small form-factor desktops based on ITX motherboards that suffer none of the above problems. I'm guessing you want to run Microsoft Word, Power Point and some proprietary software for computer assisted instruction under Windows 10 on the PC's. Otherwise, you could do everything with just the Pi computers.

rpdom

Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:03 pm

ejolson wrote:. Expected longevity of a laptop is 1/2 to 1/4 that of a desktop.
I won't argue this, despite the fact that all of my laptops are over ten years old, except the latest one which I've had for six months. Yes, they do all work.
. Monitors and keyboards need to be purchased separately for the Pi.
I needed to buy external monitors for my current laptop too. Can't work with only one screen!
. Batteries need replacing at least once during the lifetime of the laptop.

. It is difficult for a teacher to charge 30 laptops in preparation for a class.
Do they need to run on batteries? I run on mains power most of the time. I imagine most classrooms have power.
. WiFi on laptops isn't fast enough for network boot images and centrally administered system updates or maintenance.
Is laptop WiFi slower than desktop WiFi then? I thought they'd be the same. Also, what is wrong with using wired internet on laptops?

ejolson

Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:45 am

rpdom wrote:Also, what is wrong with using wired internet on laptops?
Your points are well taken. Note that many newer laptops, especially the smaller ones, don't include a wired interface.

peterlite

Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:15 pm

"I have personally yet to ever come across a laptop with HDMI in"
Weird. All the laptops I work with, including very old ones and cheap ones, have HDMI. Some have a smaller HDMI socket and need an adapter, the same as the Pi Zero.

Buying a screen, keyboard, and mouse for a laptop is common on all the projects I work on. Every business setup includes a docking station or equivalent.

Longevity depends on use. I replaced a battery in a friend's notebook after 3 years then the battery and disk after 6 years. Some desktops are lucky to last 3 years. My notebook is a reliable brand and survives use at the beach, liquid spills, heavy things thumped on top of it in the car.

I know of 20 year old all metal desktops still in use although they have had new motherboard, new power supplies, new fans, new disks, ....

DougieLawson

Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:19 am

peterlite wrote:
I have personally yet to ever come across a laptop with HDMI in
Weird. All the laptops I work with, including very old ones and cheap ones, have HDMI. Some have a smaller HDMI socket and need an adapter, the same as the Pi Zero.
And those HDMI ports will be HDMI out, to allow you to connect a projector or TV or DVI-D monitor. I've never seen any laptop with HDMI in which would allow you to play an external HDMI source on the laptop screen.

You can't connect one HDMI out to another HDMI out and expect anything sensible to happen.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”