DomL

Another "Raspberry Pi" computer lab installed in Togo...

Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:07 am

Hi Everyone,

Here are 84 pictures which illustrate how we went from an empty room in a small Togolese MS/HS to a fully equipped and functional Raspberry Pi computer lab :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... UlINXAyVmM

Last June, the room was still divided into restrooms… Inside walls were taken down, a new concrete floor and new windows were put in place… Then Seth and I, assisted by a few teachers and a couple of students, installed electricity and a LAN, had tables welded, brought in the equipments… 4 weeks later, the room was ready for the first training sessions with 25 teachers. Despite being on vacation at the time, all of them showed up every day for 2 weeks !

21 Raspi 2 (20 for students + 1 on the teacher's desk with a Optoma ML750 LED projector (both protected by a UPS), 1 small laptop attached to a scanner, another one working as a small test server (to be replaced at a later date) with SAMBA and a LAMP with Moodle and WordPress, a fast recto/verso network printer… All machines running Ubuntu MATE. Very smooth, very exciting !

This is the third such Computer room we install in Togo. The previous one was set up with Raspberry Pi 1s in a small village lost in the mountain…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d075z_tZ0Qo

I am now convinced that the model of "Raspberry Pi" computer labs is an ideal solution to bring ICT to small schools in developing countries, where resources are scarce. Last year, I was so happy to advise another community, 500 km away, on how to install their own nano-computer room on the same model. I have not seen the room myself, but I am sure it has already brought a lot to the young people who have been using it for a full year.

My goal is now to raise enough funds to set up one other room in another school each year for the foreseeable future. Hoping that other communities will want to copy the model and build their own at the same time.

DL

jasontame

Re: Another "Raspberry Pi" computer lab installed in Togo...

Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:19 pm

Hi Dominique,

I am an IT educator in Durban, South Africa, who has recently become obsessed with the tremendous potential of Raspberry Pi devices to revolutionise digital education in Africa. I just wanted to say I love what you are doing in Togo. It's an inspirational idea and has convinced me to search for opportunities to do something similar.

ejolson

Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:18 am

DomL wrote:I am now convinced that the model of "Raspberry Pi" computer labs is an ideal solution to bring ICT to small schools in developing countries, where resources are scarce.
Do you have an estimate or taken measurements how many watts of electricity are actually needed to power the 21 Pi's and monitors along with the notebooks, printer and projector when then room is in full operation?

DomL

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:59 am

Hi jasontame,

Thank you for your good comments.
I can only encourage you to go ahead and install your first Raspberry Pi room ! The potential is genuinely great. And I would of course be happy to share with you the content of the Ubuntu MATE image I am using (even though it is in French and you would have to modify it accordingly).

I wish there were many more similar rooms, not just in Togo, but in Africa and beyond ;-)

Kind regards,

DL

DomL

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:05 am

ejolson wrote:Do you have an estimate or taken measurements how many watts of electricity are actually needed to power the 21 Pi's and monitors along with the notebooks, printer and projector when then room is in full operation?
Hi ejolson,

Unfortunately, I have no real numbers yet.
Making a number of careful power and power consumption readings is currently at the top of my priorities. I intend to do that using several power readers during my next sojourn in Kpalimé (in December).

DL

rplantz

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:55 pm

For those who wish to teach computer science in a Raspberry Pi lab at a low cost to students, my textbook, Introduction to Computer Organization: ARM Assembly Language on the Raspberry Pi is available at no charge online at http://bob.cs.sonoma.edu.

Datamaran

Wed May 10, 2017 8:52 am

Dear DL,
For the upcoming three years I will work as a development assisant in the field of media education. For a technical secondary school in Embu, Kenya, I'm looking for a solution to improve an existing and rather outdated computer lab with a total amount of 24 places. Currently we have 18 PCs, running Win XP, each computer protected by a UPS. In our courses we mainly teach Windows OS, Microsoft Office products and the use of the internet.

We now want to improve the current situation by replacing the existing old computers with, let's say, smaller ones. Your story and your engagement using the Raspberry Pi sounds great for me. My question is now: How did you realize the setup from the technical point of view? I would highly appreciate, if you could give me more details about this.

Thank you!
Harry

DougieLawson

Thu May 11, 2017 6:39 am

Don't hold your breath waiting. DomL hasn't accessed the forum since Sun 18 Sep 2016 @ 10:05.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

Datamaran

Sat May 13, 2017 8:35 am

Thank you for your hint, DougieLawson. I now searched the complete forum for a guide concerning the technical setup of a Raspberry Pi Classroom without success. Do you have any suggestions on how to setup a client server based network with a running Windows on Raspberry Pi clients?

Regards
Harry

bensimmo

Sat May 13, 2017 8:54 am

You could try a private message, it may alert them or post a YouTube message on the video.

DougieLawson

Sat May 13, 2017 9:21 am

bensimmo wrote:You could try a private message, it may alert them or post a YouTube message on the video.
Alternatively start a new thread, rather than bumping old stuff (in the wrong subforum) and describe in detail the problem that needs to be solved.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

Return to “Using Raspberry Pi in the classroom”