hamster

Re: Project Euler

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:59 am

http://projecteuler.net/ - not so much as an application as a resource.

It has some really pithy math problems that can be either simple to solve or absolutely mind-screwingly hard.

All can be solved by a well designed program in a few seconds (regardless of language), or occasionally pen and paper. Usually each problem gives you an insight into into something (be it primes, handling large numbers, geometry or how to build a brick wall).

For example, problem 48 - What is the last 10 digits of 1^1 + 2^2 + 3^3 + ...1000^1000?

Easy to say, hard to calculate if you do it wrong.

Well recommended to keep that troublesome math genius in the programming class quiet!

kme

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:58 am

Uh, nice one. I used to teach my students in a similar way to calculate pi to 20.000 decimals. That could keep a K6-III busy for most of a day in those days:-)

(hint: stay integer and you need pointers badly. If you think the CPU's floating point is useful you already lost).

iamnull

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:56 am

I've made my computer cry a few times working on Project Euler problems. They seem like they'd be a pretty good tool for teaching about computability and why you should look for ways of solving problems more efficiently.

jecxjo

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Just posted about the site and realized I should have probably searched for a pre-existing thread.

I've been working on Project Euler problems in my spare time at work. Language of choice is Common Lisp. Haven't tried any of my solutions on the Pi (I know some of them would take a year to run on there since I brute forced a few solutions)
xmpp: jecxjo@dukgo.com
Blog: http://jecxjo.motd.org/code

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”