morganselah

One Minute to Amaze Kids?

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:09 pm

Hello,
This spring I'll be going to all the schools to promote summer events at the public library. As I mention each event I pull out a corresponding prop. Right now our event line up isn't that amazing, and I want to add some youth tech events. Any ideas of a simple tech trick (perhaps with Raspberry Pi?) that will instantly amaze youth? It has to take less than a minute, and be seen from a distance (we usually have two combined classes at a time, so its not a huge crowd, but a large one).Thanks for your ideas! ~Heidi

B.Goode

Re: One Minute to Amaze Kids?

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:20 pm

Live Coding with Sonic Pi.

With a bit of practice, in a minute, you could lay down a drum track, overlay a tune, vary the pitch, rhythm etc. All within a single code loop that you never stop running...

Well, it amazes me... Google SonicPi and Sam Aaron if you are not sure what I am talking about.
Last edited by B.Goode on Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kusti8

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:24 pm

B.Goode wrote:Live Coding with Sonic Pi.

With a bit of practice, in a minute, you could lay down a drum track, overlay a tune, vary the pitch, rhythm etc. All within a single code loop that you never stop running...

Well, it amazes me... Google SonicPi and Sam Aaron if you not sure what I am talking about.
+1
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

tvjon

Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:59 am

morganselah wrote:... that will instantly amaze youth? It has to take less than a minute, and be seen from a distance (we usually have two combined classes at a time, so its not a huge crowd, but a large one).Thanks for your ideas! ~Heidi
Do you want the prop to involve the children, or is it purely to entertain (amaze)?

Are there any (perhaps logistical or budgetary) limitations to the equipment you use, for example, screens, loudspeakers?

Why specifically < 1 minute?

morganselah

Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:38 pm

That's not a bad idea- I'll explore it! Thanks kindly, -H.

ej3-martin

Fri May 13, 2016 5:53 am

I wanted a way to impress a group of children and inspire them to start coding. I used a 'Makey Makey' and created a fruit piano, but you could very easily use the capacitive touch hat for pi to achieve the same result.

morganselah

Sat May 14, 2016 6:50 pm

Thanks, I like this idea.

nick.mccloud

Tue May 17, 2016 9:00 pm

Have the Pi drive in from the back of the room ...

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”