northern_rob

Setup Pi Internet through school proxy

Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:14 pm

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to configure a pi2 to use a proxy server to access the internet. As we are setting up a class of pi's we need internet connectivity on each pi, however we have to configure the browser to use a proxy. Have searched this forum and others but have yet to find clear guidance.

Many thanks

DougieLawson

Re: Setup Pi Internet through school proxy

Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:27 pm

Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

nathanprocks

Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:40 am

I have created a program called pi-proxy that allows you to set up a proxy on the Pi. It does the same thing as the link previously posted, but pi-proxy makes the configuration easier with a GUI. :)

ejolson

Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:56 pm

northern_rob wrote:Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to configure a pi2 to use a proxy server to access the internet. As we are setting up a class of pi's we need internet connectivity on each pi, however we have to configure the browser to use a proxy. Have searched this forum and others but have yet to find clear guidance.

Many thanks
You may want to check that the school's firewall doesn't also block the raspbian package manager which is needed to update and load software on the Pi.

JarJarGeek

Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:15 pm

This has worked for me in the past - very successfully so.

http://mrchrisjbailey.co.uk/2013/03/19/ ... ool-proxy/
@jarjargeek

syntax-err0r.com

northern_rob

Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:39 pm

nathanprocks wrote:I have created a program called pi-proxy that allows you to set up a proxy on the Pi. It does the same thing as the link previously posted, but pi-proxy makes the configuration easier with a GUI. :)

Thank you for you help. I have install pi-proxy successfully onto a pi2. However it never actually loads to the pi-proxy main window? Do you have any ideas as to what could be causing this? I am logged in as root.

nathanprocks

Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:37 pm

northern_rob wrote:
nathanprocks wrote:I have created a program called pi-proxy that allows you to set up a proxy on the Pi. It does the same thing as the link previously posted, but pi-proxy makes the configuration easier with a GUI. :)

Thank you for you help. I have install pi-proxy successfully onto a pi2. However it never actually loads to the pi-proxy main window? Do you have any ideas as to what could be causing this? I am logged in as root.
Hi. Sorry for the late reply. I don't check the forums often.
You may be missing some packages that pi-proxy depends on. If you open Terminal, type "pi-proxy" and press enter, you should see any errors related to the problem.
Another user said that he had to install python3.2, python-tk, and libBLT. I admit that I did not use a clean Raspbian installation on any of the Pi's that I tested it on, so I may have already had these packages. I will set up a fresh install and work on fixing this.

Hypnosis4u2nv

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:59 pm

Installed the python3, python.tk and blt. Still errors out.

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ pi-proxy
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.2/tkinter/__init__.py", line 40, in <module>
ImportError: libBLT.2.4.so.8.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.2/dist-packages/cx_Freeze-4.3.4-py3.2-linux-armv7l.egg/cx_Freeze/initscripts/Console.py", line 27, in <module>
  File "pi-proxy", line 3, in <module>

[email protected]:~ $

nathanprocks

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:59 am

Hypnosis4u2nv wrote:Installed the python3, python.tk and blt. Still errors out.

[email protected]:~ $ pi-proxy
  File "/usr/lib/python3.2/tkinter/__init__.py", line 40, in <module>
ImportError: libBLT.2.4.so.8.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.2/dist-packages/cx_Freeze-4.3.4-py3.2-linux-armv7l.egg/cx_Freeze/initscripts/Console.py", line 27, in <module>
  File "pi-proxy", line 3, in <module>

[email protected]:~ $
Try linking libBLT2.4.so.8.5 to the version that is already installed:

ln /usr/lib/libBLT2.4.so.8.6 /usr/lib/libBLT2.4.so.8.5
If you have a different version, change libBLT2.4.so.8.6 to whatever version is installed.

Hypnosis4u2nv

Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:04 pm

Thanks. Got it working using the correct command:

sudo ln /usr/lib/libBLT.2.5.so.8.6 /usr/lib/libBLT.2.4.so.8.5

Hypnosis4u2nv

Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:30 pm

Hmm. I have a successful test connection in pi-proxy, but using the web browser does not allow me to connect to any websites.

nathanprocks

Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:13 am

Hypnosis4u2nv wrote:Hmm. I have a successful test connection in pi-proxy, but using the web browser does not allow me to connect to any websites.
If you are trying to use a proxy auto-config (PAC) file, see this post. If you are just using a HTTP proxy address, don't put "http://" at the start or a slash at the end, as pi-proxy does that for you.
Then make sure that the switch on the right side of the window is enabled (green).
It should look something like this:

Hypnosis4u2nv

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:57 pm

I'm using a SOCKS address, all the other fields are blank (it fails the test if any of the other fields have the same information).

I am able to ping an address from terminal with a response, the browser cannot connect to the same address Im pinging.

nathanprocks

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:23 am

Hypnosis4u2nv wrote:I'm using a SOCKS address, all the other fields are blank (it fails the test if any of the other fields have the same information).

I am able to ping an address from terminal with a response, the browser cannot connect to the same address Im pinging.
To be honest, I haven't tested it with a SOCKS proxy. I couldn't find much information about it at the time. Pi-proxy sets the "all_proxy" environmental variable, but some programs might have different methods of running through a SOCKS proxy. Let me know if you find another way that works.

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”