jabela

Ideas for teaching with Raspberry Pi

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:36 am

At the Raspberry Jam in Cambridge I shared my ideas for teaching with the Raspberry Pi. I thought this might be a good place to mention them:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/pu ... layms=3000

You can also watch the video if you prefer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHD3NOAm ... e=youtu.be

Please feel free to add your own down below. I've also been talking to OCR and they are mad keen to get into using the Pi in their Computing curriculum.

James

recantha

Re: Ideas for teaching with Raspberry Pi

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:51 am

That's really excellent. Thanks for sharing.
:-)
My Raspberry Pi blog with all my latest projects and links to articles
http://raspberrypipod.blogspot.com. +++ Current project: PiPodTricorder - lots of sensors, lots of mini-displays, breadboarding, bit of programming.

Trossuck

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Sounds great. My son selected a Computer Enrichment course for next year, Year 11. Unfortunately, the course was cancelled due to lack of interest. He has been doing some Python programming, following some Youtube tutorials, and is so keen. Really a shame. Anyone aware of curriculum syllabuses that are available online, or otherwise, that he might propose to the school to allow him to do a 'self-taught' course?

Colly

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:43 am

Whew! Very glad I found this thread! I showed my own Raspberry Pi, un-modified, not even connected or powered up, to my elementary school principal and he immediately asked if I'd be interested in teaching a class to 4th & 5th graders about computing and to get them interested in technology of all sorts. I have the knowledge, and have tutored students in things from 3rd grade arithmetic to college algebra and I am a retired programmer with 32 years experience from that career, but professionally speaking, I am only a classified aide for the school system. If I teach the class, I will have to do it while visiting classrooms with a credentialed teacher present at all times. I will have a fun time doing this, but it really puts my mind at ease to see such a nicely organized teaching plan already designed. I will still need to list all the peripherals needed for whatever size program the principal has in mind. Working as a team, I can partner with the teachers who can coach me on state course requirements and associated paperwork (about which I know nothing) while I fill in the other side with the technical knowledge of the computers. With the principal's avid support, we'll have a "three-legged stool" teaching program that should stand without wobbling.

agalu

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:23 am

I have submitted this idea in India in a nearby School from my home.

wpns

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:21 pm

I've also talked myself into teaching a short computing course, and am currently brainstorming ideas, I know the RPi Foundation's Curriculum is in the future, but does anyone else have thoughts on how a computing course ought to be structured?

Thanks!

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”