Bill SR

Raspberry Pi and OLPC

Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:09 pm

I am sure this is nothing new but has the Raspberry Pi Foundation talked to the OLPC group about putting a Pi 2 into an OLPC Laptop? I have an XO-1 and would love to re-power it with the Pi. I love my OLPC XO-1 for it's relatively rugged case and dual mode screen, indoors and out. Although I am a EE I don't really have the skills to do the surgery.
Bill Waggener

aperezbios

Re: Raspberry Pi and OLPC

Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:09 pm

Bill,

While doing some sleuthing, I came across your response-less post from last year. I'm actually working on doing exactly this with the Pi3, and would love to pick your brain about some of the electrical aspects, especially since you're an EE. I'd be happy to supply you with a spare XO which can be safely hacked on/modified, if you so desire. Please contact me directly so we can talk further.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:24 am

I would think that a better approach would be to make a OLPC with a motherboard containing a connector for the CM, with the intent to use the CM3 when that is released.

aperezbios

Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:36 am

Sure, I don't disagree with you at all in principle, and in fact, that's where I'd eventually like to go, but there's something to be said for an easy retrofit, for people who may just want to experiment with this, and have an OLPC to dust off.

Bill SR

Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:54 pm

aperezbios wrote:Bill,

While doing some sleuthing, I came across your response-less post from last year. I'm actually working on doing exactly this with the Pi3, and would love to pick your brain about some of the electrical aspects, especially since you're an EE. I'd be happy to supply you with a spare XO which can be safely hacked on/modified, if you so desire. Please contact me directly so we can talk further.
First. thanks for offer of an XO..I have my XO and it still works! Replaced the battery after five years (it lasted that long per specs). After some reflection I am not sure the effort would be justified. The features I like about the XO are 1) the rugged case, not waterproof but water resistent 2) the dual mode display, works in bright light as well dark 3) the WiFi and 4) the Linux based software with open software. The Pi 3 would be an incredible refit but retrofitting would, probably require replacing the display and keyboard.. Being able to retain the semi-waterproof case with dual mode display and a suitable keyboard. The existing USB ports, the WiFi antennas, and other interfaces and displays can probabaly re-used in some form. Frankly, I am way too old (the first computer I used, I had to toggle in a 16 bit binary code to start the bootup sequence) to undertake the job when I realized what was going to be involved. I am hoping that some emterprising "Kick Starter" might develop a low cosr (< $200) laptop to compete with the low end Window machines. The performance is there as is the open software. Surely, someone has given this some serious thought. My MAC laptop is aging and I would buy such a machine now! I already use nothing but open software.
Besr regards,
Bill

ejolson

Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:35 am

Bill SR wrote:I am hoping that some emterprising "Kick Starter" might develop a low cosr (< $200) laptop to compete with the low end Window machines.
A Chromebook with a standard Linux distribution installed is less than 200 dollars. There is no need to design new hardware. All that is needed is for a reputable company to market suitably configured systems to schools and educational users.

Bill SR

Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:49 pm

Good point about the Chromebook. The problem lies solely with the educational bureaucracy . In the UK it took the head education guy to address the problems with the system.
Bill

aperezbios

Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:34 am

There are still tens of thousands of OLPC XO-1's deployed globally, nearly a decade after they were initially shipped. This, combined with the fact that many folks in the western world still have their G1G1 laptops collecting dust in their closets, still mean that there is an addressable market.

pishare

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:48 am

The Raspberry Pi Zero is a great partner for the OLPC XO-1 or XO-1.5 laptop.
The XO can act as display and keyboard and share its wifi with the Pi Zero, which does not have wifi. This brings a modern browser to XO users (Chromium).

USB ports are connected with a Standard USB cable (not OTG cable) configured as ethernet , which also powers the Pi Zero.
SSH / X Windows of each OS provides the communication.
The Pi Zero requires adding two drivers (modules-load=dwc2 ,g_ether) to cmdline.txt and dtoverlay=dwc2 to config.txt (Raspbian
Desktop Stretch).

Wired connection is created on the XO (using XO's Gnome desktop) and IPv4 tab set to "share with other computers". The connection MUST be created with the Pi Zero DISCONNECTED from XO; otherwise MAC address gets randomly assigned on each boot, which is the source of problems on many posts about Pi sharing of wifi on other computers. Use of SimpleHTTPServer in Python, included in both OS's, provides easy file sharing over the same connection.

Details: http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel ... 39032.html
Pi Zero + 16GB microSD+USB cable < $25 .
A "Sugar Activity" on the XO provides simple access to the Raspbian Desktop on the Pi Zero and is available (free) from the OLPC laptop community.

pishare

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:14 am

XO / Pi Zero sharing --- update notes
Raspbian Desktop Stretch November 2018 default ssh protocol (on Pi Zero W) no longer allows protocol 1, which is the default for the XO laptops.
So, change protocol on XO or Pi (to 2 or 1 or 2,1) to match the two. Protocol parameter is found in /etc/ssh/ssh_config on both and in /etc/ssh/sshd_config. X11 will not work until they match, but simple ssh seems to work without matching.

Additional note: XO power management should be turned off since it turns power off on USB ports when laptop is idle.
Also, on XO for Pi Zero W, use connection type "direct link" instead of "share with other computers" in the Gnome connection method since Pi Zero W has its own wifi.

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”