jckh999

Pi Classrooms in Cambodia

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:17 pm

Hi,

I am looking to see if someone can point me in the right direction. We are looking to donate around 300 pis 3B+ to poor schools in cambodia.

The setup would be 6 classrooms:

50 RPi 3B+
1 X86 Machine with PiServer
some gigabit switches for connection

Sourcing the Pi in Cambodia is a bit complicated and expensive. Was wondering if someone could point to a supplier or to the right contact at the foundation? The lower price we get the more labs we would be able to setup as they are donations.

Thanks,
Justin

ShaneP

Re: Pi Classrooms in Cambodia

Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:02 pm

jckh999 wrote: Hi,

I am looking to see if someone can point me in the right direction. We are looking to donate around 300 pis 3B+ to poor schools in cambodia.

The setup would be 6 classrooms:

50 RPi 3B+
1 X86 Machine with PiServer
some gigabit switches for connection

Sourcing the Pi in Cambodia is a bit complicated and expensive. Was wondering if someone could point to a supplier or to the right gimp freejobalert notepad++ contact at the foundation? The lower price we get the more labs we would be able to setup as they are donations.

Thanks,
Justin
I think its best to source through ali express.

Regards.
Shane

donod2

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:52 am

Hello,

I have installed a computer lab into a poor school in Haiti. I shipped the monitors, solar equipment and batteries via shipping container I had access to. As far as the 3B+ PI's , I have 24 total installed into a C4 Labs, 6 port Bramble Box's. I took these with me on the air plane when I flew into Haiti. If you find someone that is traveling, making contact with them and taking them in a carry on luggage may be a cheaper option than shipping.

donod2

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:05 am

Hello jckh999,

I also noticed you are going to be using PI Server for 50 RPI per classroom with a gigabit switch. Just curious how much power your system is pulling.

Do you have people inline that understand the system to operate it during use ? If something goes wrong, will they have resources to resolve it ? I've thought about using the PI Server but getting the training down from the start is tough in making sure they know what to do.

The class that I setup is running a small Linksys router, 22 RPI 3B+ desktops with older Dell 19" monitors with brightness and contrast at 50% or less and 2 RPI servers running at 450 ish watts on my inverter. I have thought about the PI Server, but having a few folks there being a little computer savvy to run and teach the class as it sits works well, but I've been hesitant to install everything on an x86 NUC.

My server is an RPI 3B+ running RACHEL with about 22 modules loaded onto a 120 GB SSD via USB. Each desktop has a 32GB MicroSD.

I use a 1 to 2 USB duplicator to make new copies of the Micro and SSDs and with them being cheap, I have spares onsite just in case.

ejolson

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:21 pm

donod2 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:05 am
I have thought about the PI Server, but having a few folks there being a little computer savvy to run and teach the class as it sits works well, but I've been hesitant to install everything on an x86 NUC.
While I have not set up a lab abroad, as a teacher I can confirm there is a tradeoff between centralised administration and having a single point of failure. My experience is that it's best to use locally-installed boot images to avoid single points of failure until you have developed the expertise to quickly resolve them. As an optimist, I'm currently using a diskless setup with a single server for about 50 students. Only once this semester did I have to resort to an emergency theory-only lecture.

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”