bensimmo

PiZero Education bulk buy ?

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:11 pm

On behalf of Education Establishments; Primary, Senior (and PiJam/CodeClub/Dojo etc.)

Now there is a good suppply chain for the Pi Zero, is there any way for a "small bulk" purchase for such activities
... of course with some checks in place.

I ask, as now the Pi GPIO Expander for x86 RPD setups is out, it makes it a cheap and easy way to use GPIO with these setups now, over the extra cost of the Pi3 an rigging these up in education and clubs. The PiZero is now a viable Educational tool :-D

mikerr

Re: PiZero Education bulk buy ?

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:32 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:11 pm
I ask, as now the Pi GPIO Expander for x86 RPD setups is out, it makes it a cheap and easy way to use GPIO with these setups now, over the extra cost of the Pi3 an rigging these up in education and clubs. The PiZero is now a viable Educational tool :-D
Note the GPIO expander will also work with model A+ , and you can buy as many A+ as you like.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:36 pm

We are looking in to ways of providing education bulk packs. Not sure of any timescales though. If/when it happens, I am sure it will be plastered all over the blog!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

DougieLawson

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:38 pm

mikerr wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:32 pm
Note the GPIO expander will also work with model A+ , and you can buy as many A+ as you like.
At more than twice the price of a ZW with no on-board WiFi (so another £7.50 for that). You get a ZW equivalent (no bluetooth) for £29.50 with an A+ & RPF official dongle (+p&p).
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

bensimmo

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:55 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:36 pm
We are looking in to ways of providing education bulk packs. Not sure of any timescales though. If/when it happens, I am sure it will be plastered all over the blog!
:D
That's ok, lets hope it's the when.

-- -- --
As for A+ that doesn't meet the ~£5 and a cable attachment cheapness and simplicity of the Pi Zero.
The W is not need as that'll not be used for what is basically a GPIO attchment to an x86 PC.

While I know I can use it (and will a have a play with our A+ & Zero just for fun of course).
It's not quite the same to buy 20 odd of them for a Pi Jam or CodeClub for a example and use the local PC's.
Or even if allowed, give them away to kids to use at home. The people that come to the Jam I go to, do have a PC at home and could easily go home with a Zero and continue their fun. A Zero and a cheap pendrive could even be given out, read to go.
I'm not saying I would or others would. But it does give the possibilty.

So thought I would ask :ugeek:

Return to “Using Raspberry Pi in the classroom”