and then

Code: Select all

password unchanged
What should I do?
:?:

DougieLawson

Re: Reset OS password

Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:15 pm

Assuming the userid you wish to fix is pi and you're logged on as pi.

sudo passwd -d pi
passwd
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

monojohnny

Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:26 pm

This answer is good: but I found I needed to execute an additional step as I was getting the following error after running the 'passwd' command:

passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
passwd: password unchanged
I had to execute the following to get round this:

mount -rw -o remount /
I got the info from this Ubuntu Forum:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/91188/au ... tion-error

1blazepatrick1

Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:34 pm

When I did the cmdline thing I wasn't able to type into the command prompt

MDanbury

Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:21 pm

Any one now how to do this on a pi 3 with Jessie? Tried the wheezie instructions can get to the # prompt but get "command not found" when you type in "passwd" and "user not found" if you type in "passwd pi" !

Help

Mike

khun

Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:08 pm

Hi!

I have forgotten my password and read everything here and nothing works! After putting the init=/bin/sh at the end of cmdline.txt using Notepad++ and UNIX EOL-setting, I get an error when starting:

/bin/sh: 0: Illegal option -q

no cursor, pressing <Enter> or anything on the keyboard gives no response. Keyboard is USB wired.

So what now?

Thanks for any help!

icoolfans

Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:25 am

Try some password recovery or reset tool to reset your OS password, maybe yo're luckily!

icoolfans

Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:27 am

fraser.the.gunner wrote:If like me you didn't really have anything saved all you need to do is completely reboot your system.
As far as I konw, iSeePassword provide many useful tips to help reset password.
http://www.iseepassword.com/tutorials.html

thirockets

Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:49 am

You can boot from a Live Linux CD and install Ophcrack to reset the password.

thirockets

Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:11 am

icoolfans wrote:Try some password recovery or reset tool to reset OS password. maybe yo're luckily!
I agreed this works well on local password. However, if you synced in with Microsoft account, then you can reset password from here: https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx

livialivia

Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:37 am

Hello, maybe you can use password manager Password Manager
to reset and save your admin password, it works very well.What`s more it is a mutipipe device for almost device in recovery and password protection.It is free and you can have a try

savoie14

Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:23 pm

After rebooting from changing the keyboard settings from UK standard in the keyboard selection menu, I kept getting a notification saying that the incorrect password was entered, even though I had written down the password that I had originally set sitting in front of me! After reading all the other posts it seemed to me that the most likely problem was with the keyboard settings. I thought that the settings may still be in the default setting (UK). So, I simply googled an image of a UK keyboard and transposed what would be the US equivalent (my keyboard). Once I had typed in my password like this, I logged in without a hitch.

Later, I looked in the keyboard settings and found that in fact both the UK and US keyboard were selected. I quickly deselected the UK one with my space bar and went on my merry way!

erlando

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Booting into runlevel 1 like Alex63 described did the trick for me.

Maxzalinko

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:17 pm

What I did is I logged in as root and just changed the settings from there then reset the computer and it worked fine! This might not help you guys but it helped me! :D

Aliasgar Taksali

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:00 am

I cant find any file named "cmdline.txt" on my NOOBS SD card.

neilakos

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:05 pm

Maxzalinko wrote:
What I did is I logged in as root and just changed the settings from there then reset the computer and it worked fine! This might not help you guys but it helped me! :D
Ah, that might work for me too, actually. I've been having a similar issue. and that sounds like it is the easiest solution.

Taccerh

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:51 am

Maxzalinko wrote:
What I did is I logged in as root and just changed the settings from there then reset the computer and it worked fine! This might not help you guys but it helped me! :D https://www.recoverywindowspassword.com/
Thank you very much ,i my opinion , the fist thing that we need to bypass the login password to access computer , only in this way , we can reset password , but I'll take your advice
Last edited by Taccerh on Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

procount

Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:38 am

Aliasgar Taksali wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:00 am
I cant find any file named "cmdline.txt" on my NOOBS SD card.
Sorry this is a bit late, but maybe it is of use to other people too.

The cmdline.txt file is on the BOOT partition of the OS that you've lost the password to.

If you installed an OS image directly using win32DiskImager or Etcher or something, then the BOOT partition is the first partition on the SD card (/dev/mmcblk0p1) and is visible if you put it in a Windows PC.

If you used NOOBS to install your OS, then the first partition of the SD card is the NOOBS recovery partition and is the one visible on a Windows PC. The OS BOOT partition is now moved to probably partition#6 (/dev/mmcblk0p6) and is not visible to Windows, so it is a little more tricky to get at.

NOOBS has a recovery shell you can get at (ctrl-alt-F2, username root, password raspberry) which you can use to mount partition 6 and use vi to edit cmdline.txt. But it's not so easy for a beginner.

An alternative is to replace NOOBS with PINN (just overwrite the files in the NOOBS partition with the files in pinn-lite.zip WITH THE EXCEPTION OF RECOVERY.CMDLINE*. PINN has a nice useful to reset or change the password of most NOOBS installed OSes.

(* The default recovery.cmdline has a 'runinstaller' option that causes it to wipe and reformat your whole SD card, so do be careful that this option is not present after overwriting NOOBS with PINN)
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”