GregMartin

Getting Pi3 set up for use out of the box

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:53 pm

Just a question...hoping it may be seen by Those Who Know...
Would the panel consider that the current confusion regarding how to take the rpi from its box and get it connected to a LAN is really really really discouraging for any Any Any Student At All. For my sins I've 30 years experience in IT, have a certificate in Electronic Servicing and yet...and yet. It wont run or connect straight out of the box. Simpletons like me had the ideya that the rpi was great for controlling other devices, was a great place to try ones hand at programming and also that it would be easy to run headless.Trying to understand eth0 and get it working is unbelievably complex, undocumented issues with running wlan0 and eth0 at the same time. If I was presented with this in a school lab I'd probably choose to get involved in modern languages instead of electronics or Kodinggg. The situation reminds me of what happened with windows (and Office) as it went downhill from XP. It seemed like the team who built XP had been forcibly retired and replaced by work experience students who all spoke different languages and all had unassailable different ideas about UsaBilitee. The end result can hardly be korled a reesult. This is one baby that dont work out of the box and I wonder who the enjineres had in mynd wen thiy disined this pees of suftwore. It is just so teediuss. Any clues on how to achieve the following will be gratefully tired out. Both wlan0 and eth0 to wake and become available when the rpi boots.
Best wishes

rpdom

Re: Getting Pi3 set up for use out of the box

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:29 am

Requiring both WiFi and wired network to be available at the same time is an advanced topic that 99% of Pi users will not require.

Mostly the Pi does just work "out of the box" once the SD card is created correctly.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:04 am

GregMartin wrote:Just a question...hoping it may be seen by Those Who Know...
Would the panel consider that the current confusion regarding how to take the rpi from its box and get it connected to a LAN is really really really discouraging for any Any Any Student At All. For my sins I've 30 years experience in IT, have a certificate in Electronic Servicing and yet...and yet. It wont run or connect straight out of the box. Simpletons like me had the ideya that the rpi was great for controlling other devices, was a great place to try ones hand at programming and also that it would be easy to run headless.Trying to understand eth0 and get it working is unbelievably complex, undocumented issues with running wlan0 and eth0 at the same time. If I was presented with this in a school lab I'd probably choose to get involved in modern languages instead of electronics or Kodinggg. The situation reminds me of what happened with windows (and Office) as it went downhill from XP. It seemed like the team who built XP had been forcibly retired and replaced by work experience students who all spoke different languages and all had unassailable different ideas about UsaBilitee. The end result can hardly be korled a reesult. This is one baby that dont work out of the box and I wonder who the enjineres had in mynd wen thiy disined this pees of suftwore. It is just so teediuss. Any clues on how to achieve the following will be gratefully tired out. Both wlan0 and eth0 to wake and become available when the rpi boots.
Best wishes
Wired networking just works if there is a DHCP running on your LAN.

WiFi can be setup by editing files on the SD Card prior to booting up, this blog is recent: https://core-electronics.com.au/tutoria ... setup.html

Though if you are managing students then a wired network and PiNet is a good option:

http://pinet.org.uk/
Adieu

GregMartin

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:00 pm

rpdom wrote:Requiring both WiFi and wired network to be available at the same time is an advanced topic that 99% of Pi users will not require.

Mostly the Pi does just work "out of the box" once the SD card is created correctly.
Do I understand that this is not the place to discuss an advanced topic then?
Could it be that I am the 1% who requires both eth0 and wlan0?
'Mostly the Pi does work' gets me no further but thanks anyway. You've let me know that either I'm not up to advanced topics, or that you cant help. I cant work out which. Silly me. The other possibility is that you could help but prefer to be unhelpful and let me know that it's an advanced topic ( I tremble at the thought !!!). It usually works is what someone says when they haven't a clue. Sometimes a little cleverness helps people to be condescending. Greg BSc, AMIMA,

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:05 pm

GregMartin wrote:
rpdom wrote:Requiring both WiFi and wired network to be available at the same time is an advanced topic that 99% of Pi users will not require.

Do I understand that this is not the place to discuss an advanced topic then?
Could it be that I am the 1% who requires both eth0 and wlan0?
'Mostly the Pi does work' gets me no further but thanks anyway. You've let me know that either I'm not up to advanced topics, or that you cant help. I cant work out which. Silly me. The other possibility is that you could help but prefer to be unhelpful and let me know that it's an advanced topic ( I tremble at the thought !!!). It usually works is what someone says when they haven't a clue. Sometimes a little cleverness helps people to be condescending. Greg BSc, AMIMA,
Point of note that this forum is run by volunteers and administered by volunteers, therefore it is free advice, if it is not adequate then pay for a Consultant - start at a £100.00 per hour :roll:
Adieu

mattmiller

Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:23 pm

Sometimes a little cleverness helps people to be condescending.
Maybe at a later time, you'll re-read your original post and reflect how you could have worded your request for help in a much more straight forward manner and without your own clever and condescending narrative

RaTTuS

Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:32 pm

plug in eth0 - job done if you have a dhcp server - who does not have a dhcp server running on any network these days ? <1% a lot less
similar for lan,
having wlan and eth on the same network is a recipe for disaster
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:10 pm

RaTTuS wrote:plug in eth0 - job done if you have a dhcp server - who does not have a dhcp server running on any network these days ? <1% a lot less
similar for lan,
having wlan and eth on the same network is a recipe for disaster
Actually.... Having wired and wireless running on the same router is the norm these days. If you mean having them with the same IP block, then I'd agree, but having them both running is absolutely routine. I would guess that upwards of 90% of all people with routers never log into them unless directed to do so during a help call, which means that almost all SOHO routers are going to be in a default configuration with default login credentials.

On a trip by train I took a few years ago, I set up a Pi with a WiFi dongle and sat in the lounge car watching all the hot spots as we rolled by. An amazing number of them had default SSIDs and I'd bet they had default security as well.

Cancelor

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:23 pm

GregMartin wrote:Just a question...hoping it may be seen by Those Who Know...
Best wishes
This is so contrary to my experience that I must conclude that I don't understand the question. The RPi works out of the box, plug it in, switch it on ..... job done.
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”