pramsay13

Raspberry Pi for Primary School Children

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:59 am

I run a club in a school with a 10 week programme taken from the resources on the Raspberry Pi website.
The list is:

Demo Programs
Getting Started With Scratch
Sonic Pi
LEDs
Turtle Snowflakes
Minecraft Pi
Burping Jelly Baby
Robot Antenna
Storytime
For the 10th week they can pick any project they want.

We have a raspberry pi each and some leds, resistors, jumper cables etc. for everyone, but limited other equipment (e.g we have only 3 cameras, 3 sense hats etc.)

We started with primary 7 children and they have been fine and understood the projects and were able to experiment at the end of each session.
Primary 6 children were also okay with a bit of guidance along the way.
We are now onto primary 5 children and I'm finding they are struggling, especially using python as it is unforgiving, and even subtle errors, such as an incorrect capital letter, will mean they are not getting the code to work, and need adult help to debug.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep it fun and engaging for this age group or projects that are easier and are rewarding immediately?

B.Goode

Re: Raspberry Pi for Primary School Children

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:41 pm

We are now onto primary 5 children and I'm finding they are struggling, especially using python as it is unforgiving, and even subtle errors, such as an incorrect capital letter, will mean they are not getting the code to work, and need adult help to debug.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep it fun and engaging for this age group

Stop using Python for that age group?

Maybe check out EduBlocks. https://edublocks.org

(As an aside: education systems across the world use different phrases to describe the stages of a child's education. What does "Primary X" mean in chronological years?)

pramsay13

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:13 pm

I am thinking about ditching python but half of these resources use python.
I'll check out edublocks.
Primary 5 is around 10 years old up to Primary 7 who are around 12 years old.

Forris
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:42 pm

I'd keep Python in for the 6's & 7's, but I'm not sure I understand why you are trying to get all year groups to the same level.

It seems your kids stay at primary for a years longer than the UK, so year numbers are the same but Yr7 would be the first year of Secondary over here.

I have some Yr5's doing Python, but only in a club setting, not in formal lessons.

Edublocks is definitely the way to go if you want to keep the Python content in for the younger students. It's Python, just presented in block form.

Return to “The Staffroom”