kotbre

Help needed with Where's Zombie project

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:10 am

Is there anywhere I can get some help on the 'where's zombie' project included in the education are of the web site.

I have been working on it with my 10 year old son. We are really close to the end but cannot get the final steps to work.

Is there a copy of completed code somewhere which should make it clear.

We are both new to programming.

Kind Regards

Neil

bensimmo

Re: Help needed with Where's Zombie project

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:26 am

At the very bottom of the page you are working on (assuming it's the website). There is a github link. Click that and it takes you too where the code would be, if there is any.

https://github.com/RaspberryPiLearning/wheres-zombie
There doesn't seem to be any final code as an example.

Which part is causing the problem?.

kotbre

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:18 pm

We checked out the link but could not find what we needed before we posted here for help. We are up the the point where we need to add some code to remove the location tag from the previous location (the step is called attack of the smiley faces). We have followed the instructions and added the code we think should go in but it does not work. In fact the code we have added stops the set_my_position function from working at all. There is an error in the console "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'setMap' of undefined at set_my_position" not sure what that error means. I feel sure I could work backwards from a completed version of the project to understand what we have done wrong if it was available.

scotty101

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:43 pm

I haven't looked at the code in detail but there seems to be a version of it at the following link.
https://github.com/smilz7/zombies/blob/ ... index.html
(It could be your code for all I know!)
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

kotbre

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:28 pm

I tweeted the author using the link on the Github page. She was super helpful and the issue is resolved. I was creating a variable locally when it should have been global? I need to figure out what the means exactly but it now works. The final example is here https://github.com/lawsie/wheres-zombie-solution

bensimmo

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:50 pm

I believe she is on maternity leave too :-)

kotbre

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:02 pm

Thanks scotty101. That is not my code but it is a completed solution that I had missed. It also would have got me over the line.

kotbre

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:19 am

She did mention she was on maternity leave. I would not have bothered her had I know. I think it was OK, she was fantastic and identified my mistake really quickly.

Return to “The Staffroom”