nfuhs

Golang for beginners on Raspberry Pi Guide Copyright question

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:14 pm

Hi,

I plan to write an open guide for Golang beginners on the Raspberry Pi and I would like to know if I have to not copyright and legal trademarks by the Raspberry Pi Foundation and if this guide has to be proven by the Raspberry Pi Foundation?

Best,

Norbert

B.Goode

Re: Golang for beginners on Raspberry Pi Guide Copyright question

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:18 pm

https://www.raspberrypi.org/trademark-rules/

If that doesn't answer your questions then https://www.raspberrypi.org/contact/

Answers in these forums will most likely be opinions from other users, not authorized statements from the Raspberry Pi Foundation/Trading.

ejolson

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:29 pm

nfuhs wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:14 pm
I plan to write an open guide for Golang beginners on the Raspberry Pi
A guide for golang sounds interesting. There are two implementations: one based on the code generator developed by Thompson and another which leverages the gcc backend. Will you focus on one or the other? Also do you have GPIO programming examples?

nfuhs

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:27 pm

I 'm just atrting with the idea and I really hope to get more ideas by I maybe starting an own new onw therad when the website of the guide will be up right now I'm just focusing aon some early beginner chapters and before I publish anything I wanted to be sure not to run in any trademmark issues with the Raspberry Pi Foundation or the Go community...

This guide is intended for absolute beginner in Go so first I will just write a pretty simple intstall guide based on the official one provide by the official Go install Guide on my Pi I'm currently using the official binary 1.9 version provided by https://golang.org/dl/

I just started some pet projects on the Pi writing little games and such stuff and I'm thinking this could be a great start for writing an Go beginner guide which isn't just write another web.server in Go but more an alternative to all the Pi with Python books and Guides for programming beginners... I basically want to prove with this that Go can also be an excellent beginner language and I also want to become better in coding and explainig stuff by writing my first guide..

I will setup an public GitHub repo and contributers from both the Raspberry Pi community and Go community are mre then welcome to join!

asandford

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:51 am

Mods don't like double posts.

DirkS

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:21 pm

asandford wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:51 am
Mods don't like double posts.
It's not only the mods...

Heater

Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:48 pm

I tried out Go a couple of years back. It was terrible slow and jerky. Mostly down to its garbage collector. I was amazed that Javascript running under node.js could perform the same function, steaming bytes over a socket, much more smoothly and faster.

I then read that the garbage collector in Go had problems working nicely on 32 bit systems and 64 bit machines were recommended.

Do you know if those 32 bit GC issues in Go were addressed in the years since then ?

Heater

Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:49 pm

I tried out Go a couple of years back. It was terrible slow and jerky. Mostly down to its garbage collector. I was amazed that Javascript running under node.js could perform the same function, steaming bytes over a socket, much more smoothly and faster.

I then read that the garbage collector in Go had problems working nicely on 32 bit systems and 64 bit machines were recommended.

Do you know if those 32 bit GC issues in Go were addressed in the years since then ?

If so, I might take time to look at Go again.

nfuhs

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:13 pm

As far as I know the problems with 32 bit on ARM but there are some things different then running Go on an AMD64 Computer:
https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/GoArm ... starvation

If you mind I will just start the book I will post the link to the to the repo soon

Return to “The Staffroom”