Frabjous

Printer setup

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:20 pm

I am installing and setting up a Samsung Xpress M2020W printer. I have installed Samsung's Linux software and SANE and its required supporting files using Synaptic. As far as I can tell, to this point, installation was successful. (I know nearly zero about anything Linux. I did read Terminal's comments, though.)

Samsung's final instructions are: ...launch printing utility (system>administrator>printing) or execute "system-config-printer" in Terminal.

Problem: I can't locate System>administrator>printing. And when I open Terminal, it doesn't recognize the system-config-printer command.

Help!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Printer setup

Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:45 pm

Is the Samsung software compatable with the Pi's ARMHF architecture ? Can you post a download link ?

Printers are usually configured thru CUPS

http://www.penguintutor.com/linux/printing-cups
Adieu

mad-hatter

Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:56 pm

Hello,

In an LXTerminal :-
sudo apt-get install system-config-printer

You will get a menu entry in Preferences/Printing.
I'm not sure, you may need to install 'cups' and some of its related programs.
I don't know if there is a Pi driver for this printer.

Regards

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:15 pm

mad-hatter wrote:Hello,

Regards
FYI no such thing as a Pi Driver, it is the Operating System which has drivers compiled to be suitable for the ARMv6 architecture.. :D
Adieu

Frabjous

Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Minutes after my first post, I found out about CUPS and installed. It appears to support every Samsung printer in existence except for any SLs. Mine, of course, is an SL-M2020.
I just did "sudo apt-get install system-config-printer." No support there, so I tried the available search function. Search function never comes up with any result.

I manually installed the driver, but that has zero effect.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:06 pm

Is this your printer is it wireless enabled model ?

http://www.samsung.com/us/business/prin ... M2020W/XAA

If it is wireless and it supports Samsung Mobile Print then use Google Cloud Print, it must be on same home network as Pi

http://www.google.co.uk/cloudprint/lear ... fo-samsung

I have a HP ePrinter which is WiFi and just print to PDF then upload PDF to the the Google Cloud Print Web Page for printing
Adieu

Frabjous

Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:44 pm

Problem partially solved:
Originally I installed the Samsung driver before I installed CUPS and did system-config-printer. So, I installed the driver again, and now my printer is detected.

Won't print, related to "/user/lib/cups/filter/rastertospl" not available: No such file or directory." It's one thing after another. Brand new printer incompatible with Raspberry. ~sigh~

Thank you for your posts.

pi_nander

Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi guys,

As stupid as I feel now, I have to admit that I have also bought this printer (sort of, I have the M2022W) and now experience the same problem.
I can´t get it to print other then the test print through the cups printers tab.
On the test print it says the following:

SPL ERROR - Please use the proper driver

POSITION : 0X0 (0)

SYSTEM : h6fwsim/xl_op

LINE : 206

VERSION : SPL 5.73.04 06-10-2014

ERROR CODE : 11-1113

My question is, has anyone fixed the problem yet or should I start looking for the receipt?

I hope that someone can help me with this problem cause this is a really good printer for the purpose that I have in mind for it...

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:17 am

pi_nander wrote:Hi guys,

As stupid as I feel now, I have to admit that I have also bought this printer (sort of, I have the M2022W) and now experience the same problem.
I can´t get it to print other then the test print through the cups printers tab.
On the test print it says the following:

SPL ERROR - Please use the proper driver

POSITION : 0X0 (0)

SYSTEM : h6fwsim/xl_op

LINE : 206

VERSION : SPL 5.73.04 06-10-2014

ERROR CODE : 11-1113

My question is, has anyone fixed the problem yet or should I start looking for the receipt?

I hope that someone can help me with this problem cause this is a really good printer for the purpose that I have in mind for it...
As this is a Wireless Cloud Printer

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/prin ... M2022W/XEU

It can be used standalone ie Wireless to your Broadband Wireless Router, the Printer can be set up without connecting to a PC

Therefore you can use Google Cloud Print which takes the pain away from trying to find drivers

https://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite ... sub01.html

You may have to install IceWeasel (Firefox) Web Browser in Raspbian to access the Goole Cloud Print web site ;)
Adieu

bobstro

Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:40 am

I have found that installing a ppd file from the manufacturer is usually sufficient to get most printers working with CUPS. I downloaded the Samsung linux drivers and extracted them. There's a healthy collection of ppds located in uld/noarch/share/ppd that might be helpful

pi_nander

Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:27 pm

Ok first of all, thanks alot for the quick reply´s. I was already looking for another printer but now I have hope for using this one.

After having looked through the Noach/shared/PPD map I have found the exact driver needed for my printer (M2020 series).
So I deleted my former printer setting (instead of modifying it) and reinstalled it using the right PPD file.
As happy as I was about finally being able to install the right driver, I found myself disappointed when the test page wouldnt even print. It just says state: stopped and nothing else...

I do think that it is now a simple matter of configuring instead of the entire trouble of finding the right driver.
Any ideas what the problem could be?
I´ll have to add though, I am still an incredible noob with the raspberry pi, linux and coding of any form BUT eager to learn.

ps.- I tried adding a screenshot but couldnt get the size of the screenshot below 64kib without making it unreadable...

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:50 pm

pi_nander wrote:Ok first of all, thanks alot for the quick reply´s. I was already looking for another printer but now I have hope for using this one.

After having looked through the Noach/shared/PPD map I have found the exact driver needed for my printer (M2020 series).
So I deleted my former printer setting (instead of modifying it) and reinstalled it using the right PPD file.
As happy as I was about finally being able to install the right driver, I found myself disappointed when the test page wouldnt even print. It just says state: stopped and nothing else...

I do think that it is now a simple matter of configuring instead of the entire trouble of finding the right driver.
Any ideas what the problem could be?
I´ll have to add though, I am still an incredible noob with the raspberry pi, linux and coding of any form BUT eager to learn.

ps.- I tried adding a screenshot but couldnt get the size of the screenshot below 64kib without making it unreadable...
The issue is that Samsung write/compile/test etc on Linux x86 systems, do they even care about ARM drivers ? likely not a high priority as most ARM Devices are Phones/Tablets which can use Air Print/Google Cloud Print.

I personally gave up and use Google Clous Print ;)
Adieu

DesktopSub

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:28 pm

mad-hatter wrote:
Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:56 pm
Hello,

Regards
Thank You mad-hatter. This post helped me a lot.

Return to “General discussion”