Possum

Power Supply

Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:50 am

Hi

I want to build RP into an router so I can have a low power (green) always on Torrent server. I don't like the idea of having 2 wall wart power supplies. Is there a way to get only one power supply and power Both my RP and the router.

Thank you..

ame

Re: Power Supply

Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:50 am

Possum wrote:Hi

I want to build RP into an router so I can have a low power (green) always on Torrent server. I don't like the idea of having 2 wall wart power supplies. Is there a way to get only one power supply and power Both my RP and the router.

Thank you..
Buy a USB power supply with two USB outlets.

rpdom

Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:07 am

Does the router also use a 5v regulated power supply?

If so, you could do as ame suggests but you'd probably have to make up a cable to connect to the router.

If not, no, you can't do it very easily. You'd have to get a PSU that will supply 5v for the Pi and whatever voltage the router takes and be able to provide enough current for both.

Possum

Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:31 am

Its 3 Volts. I will try and buy a second hand 5 V one. Hmmmmmmm. So I might be able to get a 5 V usb power supply with 2 jacks and power both the router and the RP..

Oh..This is going to be fun!

thx everyone..

Valcrist

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:51 pm

I did a similar thing a bit recently and here are a few tips..

First of all, don't get too excited and expect to be 'blown away' by the Pi's performance as a "torrent server" (for downloading). It's honestly not that great. It normally does 2-2.5MB/s max while the desktop can easily get 30MB/s+ on average (I used Ubuntu ISO torrents for benchmarks). From what I gather from the web, the ethernet port (because it's sharing the USB bus - which you're also using for storage) is the bottleneck. Copying files from the Pi (via SMB) caps at 4.5MB/s and writing to it is at 3MB/s. Other people managed to make it go faster (via overclock, etc), but that's the fastest I managed to make it go.

The slow download speed doesn't make it such a nice "torrent server" for downloading. Despite having a Pi set up for torrents, I still find myself using the desktop to download because it can download stuff for a fraction of the time it takes the Pi. And sure Pi is greener, but time is gold. As an always-on seeding box though, it performs remarkably well.

For the hub, I recommend the D-Link DUB-H7. I use that in my setup and it can power 2 Pi's, a 2.5" external drive (WD Passport), and still have enough juice to spare. I have this USB power meter thing so I actually tested this. Each Pi takes 0.8amps, the HDD takes 0.3 = 1.9A on a hub that can supply 2.4A. The Pi's are connected to the 2 'fast charging' ports. The fact that it's a USB2 hub while the rest of the world has already moved on to USB3 means that you can get it cheaper now. :D

Possum

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:40 pm

I got a RP Zero W. It gets its power off the USB port on my router...

All is working fine..

I guess only time will show me how stable the power is..

Im happy with any Torrent Speed. But faster is better..

Thx..

Return to “Recommended peripherals”