pjc123

Wireless WIFI & Keyboard/Mouse without HUB?

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:51 pm

Has anyone been able to get the following to work in combination WITHOUT a hub with the raspberry pi? I just received the pi and I am ready to order the necessary parts.

I have searched the forums and internet and can find one or the other that works without a hub, but I have yet to come across someone that has both working in combination. I suspect that the main concern is power drain, although I wonder about interference as well.

1) USB Port # 1: Wireless WIFI adapter.

2) USB Port #2: Wireless keyboard/mouse combo.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

Fodder

Re: Wireless WIFI & Keyboard/Mouse without HUB?

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:16 pm

I baught a cheap ZAR 20 ($2 if less) keyboard and it caused a kernal panic on boot, so Im using an old USB keyboard from a Apple G3 with 2 USB plugs on the side that works great. Im still having difficulties setting up the wireless at the moment but am working on that
my only concern is thats its got limited keys but as of yet I have not run into a bottle neck.

Model number:M2452

pjc123

Re: Wireless WIFI & Keyboard/Mouse without HUB?

Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:11 pm

Some more searching reveals that people are using wifi adapters with the RTL8188CUS chipset without a hub successfully. There are reports of it drawing around 100 to 115 ma under heavy load, which means it can slightly exceed the 100ma spec, but since the polyfuses are rated at 140ma, it looks like it is an acceptable risk to give it a try. There are many adapters using this chipset, so I just ordered one of the top two rated devices listed on Amazon, the AirLink101 AWLL5088, which I see from the forums is working with MrEngman's install script. The other highly rated device on Amazon and which is mentioned many times on these forums is the Edimax EW-7811UN.

I already have a Microsoft wireless desktop 3000 keyboard/mouse combo with a dongle rated at 100ma. There is no listing for this keyboard at on the elinux wiki, but since I already have it in stock I will just have to see what happens.

Once more hub reviews come in, I will probably eventually get a hub. It would be really nice to find a USB 3.0 hub that works, so there is a little future proofing going on there.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

Return to “General discussion”