pauliunas

Most affordable long-range, high-bandwidth wireless option

Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:24 am

I've been poking around the idea of building a drone for quite a while. I haven't started building it or bought anything yet, but I have a 3d printer and I'm trying to figure out all the parts I would need. This would be a very long-term project, and since I'm a programmer, I would try to program as much of the functionality as possible. That includes all the sensors and controls, because it's fun for me.

But let's get back to my question: right now I'm trying to figure out the controls part. Since I want to put the drone to good use, I might want to slap a camera on it (some cheap GoPro alternative, because I don't need 4K and stuff). And if I do that, I want to be able to see what the camera is recording. The biggest issue is streaming the video back to my controller. I know 433MHz transceiver modules are widely used and they can go as far as 2-3km for controls and stuff, but I also heard the more bandwidth you use, the shorter is the working distance. Of course, I don't want to go that far, my "end game" goal would be about 500m, but even 200m would be good.

Actually I would like to learn more about this stuff, but I guess that's too much for one thread :D

Other options I considered included using pre-built FPV controllers, a 4G USB stick, but both are very expensive, and the former is quite boring :roll:

So, I'd like to ask, would it be able to stream some legible video feedback, let's say 240p, up to 200m far under normal weather conditions using a cheap 433MHz RF module? Do you have other suggestions?

Return to “General discussion”