Adelspeter

Adafruit speaker bonnet troubleshoot

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi there, I am new to the forums and setting up an rpi 3 as a retropie system with multi boot.

I have managed to get everything working, except sound. When I plug my adafruit speaker bonnet onto the GPIO pins it shuts the pie down and won't start up again until I remove it.

Does anyone have some information that could help me out? I can't seem to figure out the issue. It seems the adafruit speaker bonnet was made for pi so I am not sure why this error is happening? Do I just not have enough power output?

The pi and the 7" touch screen are being powered from a 5v ac adapter.

Thank you!!

Burngate

Re: Adafruit speaker bonnet troubleshoot

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:27 pm

I take "powered from a 5v ac adapter" to actually mean 5v dc, but you don't say what current it'll supply, and don't mention the cable from that to the Pi.
So, yes, my first thought is it could be a power problem. Does the red LED go out when you put the bonnet on?

But compared to the Pi and the screen, I believe the bonnet takes very little power at idle.

I understand that, as bought from Adafruit, the bonnet needs assembling - soldering, and so-on.
Are you sure you've done that successfully? And are you connecting it to the Pi the right way up / the right way round?

Adelspeter

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:42 pm

Yes, it is a 5v 2.5a D.C. To micro USB that is plugged into a y splitter powering both the pi and the 7" touch screen via micro USB.

& correct, the red LED goes out when I plug in the bonnet and won't come back on until I completely remove it.

I have followed all of the instructions from adafruit's site for building and installing the hardware so I know I have it facing the right direction and facing the right way up. This was my first time soldering however so it may not be as graceful as it could be, but I was still getting the same problem even when the parts weren't soldered where it shit off the red LED when connected to the gpio.

I have been looking into some alternative options but I would really like for this one to work!

Thank you so much for the help, I have been pulling my hair out searching the web for answers.

Burngate

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:48 am

2.5A should be enough; the amplifiers on the bonnet only take about 5mA when not doing anything, so shouldn't shut everything down. At worst, if it was on edge, I would expect that extra load to turn the red LED off but otherwise not do too much. Certainly not totally shut the Pi down.

So you would seem to have a problem that's drawing far more than a few milliamps.
My first thought is that you have a short circuit between 5v and ground. (According to the pdf https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/download ... rry-pi.pdf page 11, the bonnet uses both 5v and 3v3, but I've searched the schematic, and can't find any connection to 3v3 other than the group of holes towards the left of the board)
Try looking at the soldering around the first few pins of the header, where 5v and ground come into the board.
If you have a meter, you could try measuring the resistance between 5v and ground. If you haven't got a meter, think about buying one!

Adelspeter

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:25 am

Thank you so much for the help!

Sorry for the late reply, I have been in Costa Rica for a few weeks and finally back home now. I actually reordered the speaker bonnet part and took it in to have it soldered correctly. Set it up and it appears to be working fine in raspbian!

The only issue is I need it to be working on retropie, kind of the whole reason I bought it. On the adafruit website it claims that sound has been tested with mame-libretro. I have installed galaga and the game works great, but unfortunately there is no sound. Is there something I am missing in the audio setup, or do I just need the sample files for the game sounds in order for the speakers to make noise?

Once again I really appreciate any help :)

Return to “General discussion”