gump74

4g dongle in US recommendations

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:02 am

Greetings all,
I am looking for a specific recommendation for a 4g dongle that is unkown to work with the pi and works in the US on the verizon carrier. I know that there are ppl that have asked for a list of all known working 4g dongles and there is a list of that. "https://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripher ... 4G_Dongles" but that only seems to have two in the list. Moreover the first one does not seem to be for sale. Searching for the second one on amazon ebay and google shopping only finds ones that work in europe, asia, middle-east and africa. Not the US or canada. Looking at other random brands on amazon that have 4g also says they do not work in the US. On the ones that do not say they exclude the US it says that they exclude verizon.

I'm confused, if it says it is unlocked shouldn't it work for all carriers?

Can someone provide a link, preferably amazon, to a 4g dongle that works in the US on verizon and is compatible with the pi? maybe in the $40 to $60 range.

I do not know why I have been having such a hard time with this one but I cannot find anything useful. I have read other posts saying that if I find a dongle all I have to do is go into some directory somewhere and look to the driver to the chipset and if it is not there then all I have to do is to add the driver and recompile the kernel. I don't know about you guys but that is well above my head.

I have been using my cell's hotspot to provide internet for my house but a recent update from LG has broken the hotspot feature. I contacted LG and had the most pointless conversation ever. So this is kind of a big deal for me, I would appreciate any assistance you can provide. Thank you and have a nice day.

ericcooper

Re: 4g dongle in US recommendations

Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:43 am

This doesn't answer your question, but if your phone supports Bluetooth tethering that could be another alternative. It's a little tricky to set up on the Pi (see http://blog.fraggod.net/2015/03/28/blue ... ez-5x.html) but works well.

gump74

Re: 4g dongle in US recommendations

Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:53 am

Unfortunately, the ip routing service is broken in the latest patch, I did try to use usb tethering to my pc and that did not work either. Thanks for the quick reply.

Return to “Recommended peripherals”