spillemw

Pi with 2 ethernet ports to create router and run PFsense

Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:03 pm

I want to try run PFsense on PI, but for that I need two RJ45 ethernet ports.
(theoretically i could do it with the WLAN and the one fixed port but i do not want to do that)

Does anyone know if there are plans to come up with a two fixed ethernet version?

If not, anyone has experience using a USB to Ethernet peripheral on Pi ?

Thanks

rpdom

Re: Pi with 2 ethernet ports to create router and run PFsense

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:38 pm

Lots of people have experience of using USB network interfaces on Pis. The A, A+ and Zero do not have a wired interface, so the only way to network them is to use a USB interface (I'm talking wired, not WiFi, as I know the Zero-W has WiFi).

The only real issue is that the on-board interface is connected via USB and will have to share bandwidth with any other USB devices.

Also, try to stay away from interfaces based on the DM9601 chipset as they only support USB1.1 speeds (about 11mb/s).

fruitoftheloom

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:04 pm

spillemw wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:03 pm
I want to try run PFsense on PI, but for that I need two RJ45 ethernet ports.
(theoretically i could do it with the WLAN and the one fixed port but i do not want to do that)

Does anyone know if there are plans to come up with a two fixed ethernet version?

If not, anyone has experience using a USB to Ethernet peripheral on Pi ?

Thanks
pfsense does not appear to officially support the Raspberry Pis ARM platform:

https://www.pfsense.org/download/

Yes you can bridge 2 ethernet connections, though ensure the USB-Ethernet Adaptor has a Realtek or Asix Chipset...
""understanding the theoretical, but not always the end goal""

My other Devices are the ChromeBit CS10, ChromeCast & Huawei Mate 10 Pro SmartPhone

rpdom

Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:19 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:04 pm
pfsense does not appear to officially support the Raspberry Pis ARM platform:
No, but the source code is available for download and even though it is based on FreeBSD it is possible that it could be built for a Pi. If I had any freee time at all I would look in to this, as I do use a pfsense box at work.

AbdulkaderAlrazj

Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:29 am

- Hello : - Is it possible to run pfsense on a Raspberry PI 3 ... !? - I already installed FreeBSD 12.0 on Raspberry 3 model B , and got the following link, https://github.com/pfsense/FreeBSD-port ... aster/misc or https://github.com/pfsense , for installation pfSense but I did not know how to do , so I hope so help, I need special commands to install pfSense on Raspberry , Please reply and help , I need it so much .

Yours sincerely : AbdRzj

AVMan

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:35 pm

Though I don't run pfsense on a RPi, I do run it on a laptop with one Ethernet port, the trick is you need a managed network switch and use VLANS. For example, your cable modem would go in port 1 of the managed network switch, and that traffic would be tagged VLAN 10, which would only go to ports 1 and 2. The PFSense computer would go on port 2 and would be looking for VLAN 10 as the WAN port, which you tell it in the PFSense setup. The rest of the network switch would be tagged VLAN 20, so the LAN traffic out of the PFSense could travel out of the one Ethernet port to the rest of the switch. This configuration has been working great for me on an old EeePC netbook for years. Setting up the switch is tricky and the specific language depends on manufacturer. Good Luck! :D

piralitto

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:38 am

I am currently running openwrt on my pi 3 and it is actung as a powerful router. Just order a usb to ethernet adapter from ebay ($10-20). Most of them have a realtek chip. If you are planning to run openwrt make sure to download the kmod package for usb2lan adapter otherwise lede will not recognize it.

Return to “General discussion”