John_Vella

Power Supply question

Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi,

Not sure which forum was best for this question, so please feel free to move it, if appropriate, and please accept my apologies if it is mis-placed.

OK, on to the question... I'm building a custom case for my Pi, and need to install a PSU. I am quite happy building a regulated 5V PSU, as I do have a background in electronics. I would rather have a "kettle" connector on the back of my case, as opposed to the micro-usb connector, as I don't have any faith in their longevity.

As I said, I could build a PSU, but I'm interested to see if there is a ready made solution, which doesn't involve me getting the soldering iron out, (maybe it's laziness, or maybe time is too valuable to spend it re-inventing the wheel, I'll let you decide)

Do you know of anywhere that sells anything which will fulfil my requirements?

Thanks in advance,

John.

hippy

Re: Power Supply question

Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:15 pm

I am currently putting my Pi in a case and am facing the same issue. I figured the pro's can make better PSU's than I can so I found a fairly slim, good quality mains to 5V 2A switch-mode PSU, with figure-of-8 mains connector one end and heavy duty wiring out the other. I am just going to glue that within my case.

Actually I have cut the PSU case apart, have cut holes for ventilation above its heatsinks. I will also be removing the figure-of-8 connector and soldering the case's attached mains lead direct to the PCB.

If I had more room I would have simply pushed the PSU against the back of the case and cut a hole to provide mains input.

You should be able to find 5V or 12V+5V PSU's which have 'kettle' connectors and do the same or you could solder a short figure-of-8 lead to the 'kettle' connector if needed.

John_Vella

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:19 pm

Inspiration may have just struck! I'm sure I have a few USB chargers at home, so I'm now thinking of just taking one of them apart and, after removing the plug bits, just hard wiring the points to a case mounted connector.

Aside from making sure that the PSU is powerful enough, (let's say 2.5A, just in case I decided to upgrade to a Pi 3) can anyone see a flaw in my plan?

hippy

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:40 pm

I did have another thought. Instead of using a micro-USB socket for power-input one can fit a much sturdier USB-B socket ( the square things older kit used to use ). It's still easy to get USB-A to USB-B cables so one can use an external USB PSU and only need to add a micro-USB plug to the socket within the case, or wire to PCB connections.

I'm tempted to do that now because it should allow me to use a Pi Zero W in both gadget mode ( via the USB-B / power socket ) or host mode ( via a front panel USB-A socket ) with a simple switch to toggle the OTG ID signal. Unfortunately I'm not sure what effect plugging a PSU in will have on the data lines. Might have to switch those too.

alphanumeric

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:26 am

I have one of these 5V 10A power supplies , https://www.adafruit.com/product/658 and the 4A version, https://www.adafruit.com/product/1466 . I use a panel mount barrel jack to connect it to my Pi etc. https://www.adafruit.com/product/610 Nice and robust, easy to plug in, no upside down so no mangling the pins etc .

hippy

Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:45 pm

XLR connectors provide a sturdy rock-solid connection and have a retaining clip so won't get accidentally pulled out. I would recommend 4-pin XLR so there are no accidents in confusing them with audio-carrying leads.

Their other big advantage is they are easy to solder large core cables to thus minimising cable resistance and more suitable for high currents.

Have a female plug deliver power, male socket receive power.

Return to “Recommended peripherals”