stigzler

Reccomendations for USB Drive with RPi3??

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:59 pm

Hi - New to RPi + to some extent SBCs...

I'm looking to create a setup which has storage additional to the SD Card. I'm thinking of using a 'self-powered' (i.e. off the usb power, not externally powered) USB drive (e.g. the "passport" drives). For game emulation machine. Drive will store roms and associated media. A few questions:

a) Power: will the standard 5V 2.5A supply ensure adequate power from the Pi > USB Drive?

b) Any difference between using a USB2 and USB3 drive. The USB3 drive appear to be better value for money (1TB drives coming in around £60)

c) Planning to use standard Emulation Front End images (RetroPie, Batocera etc) - any special considerations towards which USB drive to buy?

d) Any other recommendations when looking what to buy?

Cheers

rpdom

Re: Reccomendations for USB Drive with RPi3??

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:58 am

stigzler wrote:a) Power: will the standard 5V 2.5A supply ensure adequate power from the Pi > USB Drive?
That depends on the current requirements of the drive. I have found most USB HDDs that I have tried with a Pi2 or 3 have worked fine when using the official PSU.
b) Any difference between using a USB2 and USB3 drive. The USB3 drive appear to be better value for money (1TB drives coming in around £60)
Again it depends on the requirements of the drive. I am happily using USB3 2TB drives with a Pi2 and a PI3. (Which were £62 in Argos, but are now more expensive with some useless bundled "free" software)
I've no idea on the last two questions, sorry.

Return to “General discussion”