kneekoo

Edimax EW-7611ULB on Raspberry Pi

Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:49 am

Hey, everyone!

I just ordered an Edimax EW-7611ULB wifi dongle for its bluetooth capability. It looks like the successor of Edimax EW-7811Un, although the wifi chip is different and it requires manual drivers installation.

Edimax was kind enough to write this guide: How to install EW-7611ULB adapter on Raspberry Pi but with each kernel update we would have to recompile the wifi and bluetooth drivers.

What are the chances of having these drivers tested and possibly merged in the kernel sometime in the future, for out-of-the-box support?

wonx

Re: Edimax EW-7611ULB on Raspberry Pi

Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:48 pm

I am also interested in this. Losing connectivity after every kernel update is quite annoying...

seurat

Re: Edimax EW-7611ULB on Raspberry Pi

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:01 am

I've had this adapter running on Raspbian w/kernel 4.9.35+ for more that a year in a Raspberry Pi A+ as an Internet radio box coupled to a BOSSE SoundLink mini. My original intention was to use Volumio for this Internet radio box but compiling the driver for Volumio turned out to be more than I could handle. I then decided to use MusicPlayer and compile th edirvet for Raspbian 4.9.35+. Unfortunately there is still an issue with the Edimax driver: I'm seeing a memory leak that will go on until the memory is depleted down to OS minimum and the MusicPlayer daemon stops.
Has anyone experienced this behavior with the Edimax driver? Can anyone give me some hints on how to debug this issue?

Return to “General discussion”