p26grinz

Bootable dual sata HDD docking station for use with RPi 3b

Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:22 am

I am looking for a recommendation for subject device.
I ordered a Cable Matters 202024 device and found out I couldn't boot my RPi3.
I called several manafactures but they couldn't confirm I would be able to boot my RPi3.

Thanks, morris

cspan

Re: Bootable dual sata HDD docking station for use with RPi 3b

Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:10 am

I'm able to boot my Pi 3B + from a HDD using a powered SATA dock made by Plugable.

k-pi

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:18 am

You might have to add a waiting period for the USB device to come online, can't remember where or what you need, but I'm sure a search will find the answer, or someone will turn up who is familiar with it's use.

cspan

Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:21 pm

cspan wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:10 am
I'm able to boot my Pi 3B + from a HDD using a powered SATA dock made by Plugable.
Just an update - I've not found this to be a reliable method of booting in my case. I've tried powering them on simultaneously, powering on the external powered HDD first, and vice-versa. Usually it does not boot. Once in awhile it does on second or third try.

The docking station for the HDD has an LED that is purple when power is applied, but does not turn blue until the Pi (to which it is connected by USB) is connected to a Pi that has been turned on. So perhaps they're still coming on simultaneously, in a sense. I edited config.txt to change the USB boot timeout to 5 seconds, but apparently that's not enough.

If I boot to microSD card, then turn on the drive, it is recognized just fine in the file manager. Just can't seem to get it to reliably boot when the SD card is out.

Return to “Recommended peripherals”