tjboosh

Mini BT keyboard

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:46 pm

Hey guys, I have been searching for a mini Bluetooth keyboard with trackpad to use with my pi 3. One of the little handheld ones.
The reviews I see are very mixed and I can't find one with solid reviews.
Is there one that anyone can recommend to me? I know they are relatively cheap, but I don't want to deal with returning crappy ones.
Thanks.

k-pi

Re: Mini BT keyboard

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:59 am

Although I don't use it much, it's too small for me, I bought an Ideapro, & it was OK, still is, for the times that I use it.
It's a rechargeable unit, & lasts for quite some time, in fact, I have only charged it once for my limited use of it.
Seems to be well made, & has a rubbery feel to it, so doesn't have a tendency slip.

gkreidl

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:04 pm

tjboosh wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:46 pm
Hey guys, I have been searching for a mini Bluetooth keyboard with trackpad to use with my pi 3. One of the little handheld ones.
The reviews I see are very mixed and I can't find one with solid reviews.
Is there one that anyone can recommend to me? I know they are relatively cheap, but I don't want to deal with returning crappy ones.
Thanks.
do you really mean "Bluetooth"? Most small and cheap wireless USB keyboards use a small 2.4 GHZ USB dongle. They should all work out of the box, but require a "usbhid.mousepoll=0" in /boot/cmdline.txt.
I'm using a kind of "air mouse" myself.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

scruss

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:39 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:04 pm
… cheap wireless USB keyboards use a small 2.4 GHZ USB dongle. They should all work out of the box, but require a "usbhid.mousepoll=0" in /boot/cmdline.txt.
I haven't needed any modification of /boot/cmdline.txt with either of the RF keyboard/trackpads I use. They just work for me.

To the OP, I haven't yet found a decent small BT keyboard/trackpad (that I can afford). I have RF/wireless ones from IOGear (bigger, more expensive, small but can kind-of type on it quite well, nice little trackball) and Rii (really small, only for emergency typing, tiny trackpad). Both work well enough.

The Rii one is really small. Here it is in front of a Raspberry Pi 2B in an Adafruit case:
wee_rii.jpg
very tiny computer
wee_rii.jpg (30.25 KiB) Viewed 183 times
(disclosure: the company I work for resells Rii keyboards, and I got my one at a discount)
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

Return to “Recommended peripherals”