alpersilistre

Wireless button

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi everyone.

I have a Raspberry Pi Zero W and I wanted to send a signal to the pi zero so I can trigger a task. I am a Software Engineer and I believe I can handle software parts.

I am trying to find a proper Bluetooth or Wifi device(just button) so when I press the button, something will happen on my Raspberry Pi. I first searched Bluetooth devices, beacons but could not be sure about any product.

https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2016/02/cheap- ... and-linux/ this link discusses a Bluetooth device and author managed to used it. I wonder if anyone also tried something like this in this post.

Also, I found another topic in the forum: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=82430
My project looks similar within this topic and there is a suggestion about using RF solution which I have no idea about it. Adafruit RF remote control given as an example which has $6,95 price.

There are wireless Bluetooth projects, one example is https://flic.io/ but generally, these come with their mobile app which I believe increase their price relatively high. This is $35 for one button and I am not sure if I can do custom things with this.

Basically, I am thinking to use some Bluetooth or Wifi or any other technology button that I can send a signal to raspberry pie when I clicked the button. I am looking for cheap and programmable solutions. Would be glad if anyone can give me a suggestion. Thanks.
Last edited by alpersilistre on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

epoch1970

Re: Wireless button

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:50 am

An amazon dash button perhaps?
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

B.Goode

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:57 am

alpersilistre

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:56 am

epoch1970 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:50 am
An amazon dash button perhaps?
I have checked it, it seems lots of pre-programmed dash buttons(I guess not customizable) available with $5 price. I have also found aws iot button which probably allows a customization but the price is $20 and unfortunately, it does not ship to Turkey (I live in Turkey).
B.Goode wrote: Blue Dot for an Android 'phone?

http://bluedot.readthedocs.io/en/dev/ge ... arted.html
This project works on the mobile device. My project aims for elder people which do not have a smartphone or they will use a button in a situation where they can't reach the mobile device. If I can find a small button, they can carry it easily or can attach to their clothes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

B.Goode

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:04 am

it seems lots of pre-programmed dash buttons(I guess not customizable) available with $5 price.
I don't have experience of doing it myself, but there are many blog posts suggesting how to 'hack' pre-programmed buttons.

If you are able to detect that a signal has been sent in response to the button being activated, does it matter if the message is decoded as "Order more washing powder"? Your own code does not need to implement that order.

Martin Frezman

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:28 am

Dash works - I had a bit of fun with it myself - but be aware that it isn't fast (i.e., instantaneous). There is an unavoidable few second delay between when you press it and when the other end (i.e., the Pi) picks up on it. Still, if you can live with that, it's not bad.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

alpersilistre

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:00 pm

B.Goode wrote:
it seems lots of pre-programmed dash buttons(I guess not customizable) available with $5 price.
I don't have experience of doing it myself, but there are many blog posts suggesting how to 'hack' pre-programmed buttons.

If you are able to detect that a signal has been sent in response to the button being activated, does it matter if the message is decoded as "Order more washing powder"? Your own code does not need to implement that order.
Thanks for the information. I didn't have a much information about amazon dash button before, I checked the web and yes there are numerous blog posts about hacking dash button. I will look through them.
Martin Frezman wrote: Dash works - I had a bit of fun with it myself - but be aware that it isn't fast (i.e., instantaneous). There is an unavoidable few second delay between when you press it and when the other end (i.e., the Pi) picks up on it. Still, if you can live with that, it's not bad.
Few seconds delay is not important as long as it will send a signal to the pi. Thanks for the information.

epoch1970

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:16 pm

I didn't try getting an AWS button or hacking an Amazon one for the following reason: AFAIK the battery is not user-replaceable and only good for something like a 1000 activations.
Makes good sense for ordering washing powder or cat food, but not good for frequent use like a light switch.

IIRC the hack has something to do with catching the MAC address of the button and then spoofing Amazon's servers. A Pi with iptables surely can do that.

Have fun.
(My favorite is EnOcean's wireless/battery-less button -a minuscule dynamo powering a short-range radio device. Interesting technology, but not in the price range you've stated. A certain learning curve, as well.)
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

alpersilistre

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:58 pm

epoch1970 wrote: I didn't try getting an AWS button or hacking an Amazon one for the following reason: AFAIK the battery is not user-replaceable and only good for something like a 1000 activations.
Makes good sense for ordering washing powder or cat food, but not good for frequent use like a light switch.
https://medium.com/@ecaron/why-i-stoppe ... 386a38bbd1
It seems you are right. I am a little bit upset about learning this. I wish battery could be replaceable.
epoch1970 wrote: (My favorite is EnOcean's wireless/battery-less button -a minuscule dynamo powering a short-range radio device. Interesting technology, but not in the price range you've stated. A certain learning curve, as well.)
Really expensive device for my purpose. Thanks for the suggestion, I think I need to research more.

Return to “Recommended peripherals”