techteacherMD
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:30 pm

Help with USB C monitor

Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:20 am

My school bought my lab 18 LG UltraFine 4K Displays. They work great with our Macbooks. However, I am not sure what kind of adapter to use to connect Raspberry Pi's to it. I've tried the Apple adapter that has HDMI, but it didn't work. My set up was Raspberry Pi -> HDMI -> Adapter HDMI port -> USB C connected to display. Any help? Thank you!!

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 11793
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Help with USB C monitor

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:56 pm

The USB C/HDMI adaptors I've used are for output from USB C to HDMI only, not from HDMI to USB C.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 30420
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Help with USB C monitor

Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:38 pm

techteacherMD wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:20 am
My school bought my lab 18 LG UltraFine 4K Displays.
There's no way to wire that overpriced, over specified monitor to any Raspberry.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

techteacherMD
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:30 pm

Re: Help with USB C monitor

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:46 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:38 pm
techteacherMD wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:20 am
My school bought my lab 18 LG UltraFine 4K Displays.
There's no way to wire that overpriced, over specified monitor to any Raspberry.
DougieLawson, we are an Apple school, so we have to go with specific products. My IT Team buys items that work seamlessly with the macbooks that all of our students have. I appreciate your insight, I am sorry you do not have a positive opinion of our monitors. The kids love them because they can hook up, charge their laptops, and have split screens. At least that will come in handy when we are learning to code.

techteacherMD
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:30 pm

Re: Help with USB C monitor

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:46 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:56 pm
The USB C/HDMI adaptors I've used are for output from USB C to HDMI only, not from HDMI to USB C.
Thank you! Maybe some day there will be HDMI to USB C

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 15047
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Bognor Regis UK

Re: Help with USB C monitor

Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:57 am

techteacherMD wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:46 pm
rpdom wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:56 pm
The USB C/HDMI adaptors I've used are for output from USB C to HDMI only, not from HDMI to USB C.
Thank you! Maybe some day there will be HDMI to USB C

Do not hold your breath waiting.


The easiest solution is to run RealVNC Server (included with Raspbian OS) and RealVNC Viewer in MacOS, providing are both connected to same network !!
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

techteacherMD
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:30 pm

Re: Help with USB C monitor

Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:56 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:57 am
techteacherMD wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:46 pm
rpdom wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:56 pm
The USB C/HDMI adaptors I've used are for output from USB C to HDMI only, not from HDMI to USB C.
Thank you! Maybe some day there will be HDMI to USB C

Do not hold your breath waiting.


The easiest solution is to run RealVNC Server (included with Raspbian OS) and RealVNC Viewer in MacOS, providing are both connected to same network !!

Thank you! So I guess your suggestion would be to hook up the macbooks to the monitors and run the RealVNC on the Raspberry Pi, right? My problem is I need a monitor to get the RealVNC Server started. Which leads me back to the same issue. We have a few 7" touchscreens, but they're just too small.
I appreciate your help!!!

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 15047
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Bognor Regis UK

Re: Help with USB C monitor

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:03 pm

techteacherMD wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:56 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:57 am
techteacherMD wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:46 pm


Thank you! Maybe some day there will be HDMI to USB C

Do not hold your breath waiting.


The easiest solution is to run RealVNC Server (included with Raspbian OS) and RealVNC Viewer in MacOS, providing are both connected to same network !!

Thank you! So I guess your suggestion would be to hook up the macbooks to the monitors and run the RealVNC on the Raspberry Pi, right? My problem is I need a monitor to get the RealVNC Server started. Which leads me back to the same issue. We have a few 7" touchscreens, but they're just too small.
I appreciate your help!!!

SSH into the RPi then enable RealVNC Server, this is applicable to Raspbian Jessie & Stretch:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/a-secu ... ian-pixel/
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

Return to “Recommended peripherals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests