ab1jx

The best Sandisk SD card type for a Pi?

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:34 am

I'm looking for reliability, I've already had 2 SDs fail. As I was entering a warranty claim I tried to sign up for their forums to ask there, couldn't make their form work so far. At https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4968/ is a picture of (current?) card types. I've read good stuff about the Extreme Pro or Extreme Plus, I forget which.

But wait a minute, UHS is a different bus style internally with advantages. If a Pi can't take advantage of them it just runs in slow mode for compatibility and money is wasted. We're talking $70 and up for a 128 GB and it's already going to have to wait until after next payday. I want the best one a Pi can use without getting features it can't use.

I see Sandisk is owned by Western Digital, at least now. I'd prefer Seagate, but WD is mostly OK, in terms of hard drive failures I've had.

jahboater

Re: The best Sandisk SD card type for a Pi?

Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:57 am

Any reason for specifying sandisk?
I have never had a problem with Samsung cards (EVO+) and they are commonly recommended.
Though looking at amazon anyway, they now only seem to be available in 32GB or more sizes (which is fine).

It should use the full speed of UHS cards with this in /boot/config.txt

dtparam=sd_overclock=100

ab1jx

Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:45 am

Oh, just brand loyalty mostly. I've been buying mostly Sandisk since my first digital camera about 2000. I know there are a lot of counterfeits these days but I avoid the cheap brands except for maybe something like my mp3 player where it doesn't hold my only copy of something. And applications like the Pi are kind of an uncharted area with the frequent reads and writes. But Samsung has been making SD cards as long as Sandisk has. In hard drives I won't touch another Maxtor because Staples was pushing rebate deals on them once around 2002 and I bought several that failed within 6 months. There were even bad batches of IBM drives, and they had I think 5 year warranties, right before they switched to using Hitachi.

Most of my SDs have come from photo places like Adorama or B&H, and B&H is in the forefront on this again with a 128 EVO+ at $50. https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... 8wIIiQMwAA I guess 400s are out so 256s should come down soon. I've just increased my "fleet" to 3 Pi3s and 2 Zeros so I need to get paraphernalia ordered for the new arrivals.

Thanks for the dtparam=sd_overclock=100

[edit]
Confirmed by the thread at viewtopic.php?t=140461

Normally I don't want anything to do with overclocking anything, so even though I may have seen it I ignored it. I'd say it probably should have been named differently. Like maybe UHS? Overclocking generally shortens the lifespans of things to gain a few percent better performance, in this case it's (apparently) enabling a different mode. I'd liken it to the higher ATAPI PIO modes, some of which require an 80 conductor drive cable instead of 40, then they can be confirmed by looking at dmesg (OK, i386 OpenBSD). If there's a way to probe for this capability on booting and enable it, instead of relying on obscure methods that would be good. As far as I know an increasing percentage of SD cards will be UHS in the future.
Last edited by ab1jx on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:30 pm

My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

rpiMike

Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:46 pm

What power supply were you using when your sd cards got corrupted ?

ab1jx

Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:20 pm

The official 2.5 amp, and most of my USB stuff was in a powered hub. It had been running a year or so 24/7, not that I didn't crash and reboot now and then but I treated it exactly the same as I would treat a hard drive. First I noticed a few odd things like Gimp wouldn't save TIFFs right, then one day it didn't boot anymore. About 3% of the space was bad by badblocks. I had cloned it about 2 weeks before so I didn't lose much.

ab1jx

Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:26 pm

The official 2.5 amp, and most of my USB stuff was in a powered hub. It had been running a year or so 24/7, not that I didn't crash and reboot now and then but I treated it exactly the same as I would treat a hard drive. First I noticed a few odd things like Gimp wouldn't save TIFFs right, then one day it didn't boot anymore. About 3% of the space was bad by badblocks. I had cloned it about 2 weeks before so I didn't lose much.

Oh, and the other was actually in an Android phone. Android does this thing sometimes where it stops seeing an SD card. Then it does, then it doesn't. I think I copied everything off, reformatted it, copied everything back, and it was still happening.

ab1jx

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:16 pm

I'm pursuing the warranty approach for now, but I will still need more SDs (more computers). Even the plain black Sandisk Ultra has a 10 year warranty, some of the fancier red ones have lifetime warranties. I had to take a "clear picture" in one case and send it. Don't ask a photographer type for the best picture they can take unless you're willing to wait a while. So my case had expired and I had to reopen it. But they seem to take warranties seriously, I'm glad I didn't throw the bad ones away.

You do need a place of purchase and approximate date. Since I'd mostly bought online from Adorama Camera I could search my Gmail. I haven't actually seen any replacements yet, I'm still working on getting RMA numbers so far, but it looks good.

A page at Sandisk explaining their little logos and classifications like sd xc they put on the cards https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2520

This one has a lifetime warranty:

ab1jx

Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:57 pm

I want one of these :)
400sd.jpg
400sd.jpg (6.06 KiB) Viewed 471 times
But they came out just recently, street price looks like about $250, the 256 GB is still about $139.

I did get my RMA, packaging stuff up to send off now. This one is a UHS card by the 1 inside the U. A few of mine turn out to be now that I know what to look for.

Ronaldlees

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:41 pm

You mentioned that the uSD was running for a year in your device. It's not much publicized, but NAND (the memory type in the card) - can have a pretty short decay time before it allows bitrot of data (I've read somewhere that cheap cards can have as short as a nine month decay). I think SanDisks are much better than this, but I suppose there could be the bad lot. If the bitrot is in a certain place (the uSD card's controller memory) - then it can become unusable (usually read-only).

My personal experience is that the cards usually keep data integrity for much longer than nine months. I have a number of USB drives (uses same kind of memory internally) with 5 year old data, still intact. But, the usual culprit for a RO uSD is it's losing power while writing. Even with that scenario, my SanDisks have never gone bad.

I've taken the habit of copying my uSD disks and my SSD disks to a hard drive, and then recopying the data back onto the SSD or uSD to "refresh" it. I've been doing this about every six mos or so.

Yes - I like that 400GB Sandisk! Mine are mostly the 128GB which seems to be sweet spot right now, pricewise.
I am The Umbrella Man

ab1jx

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:15 pm

I was marvelling at how well Piclone works and how simple it makes doing a full backup of my 128s, then wham, I got hit. So I didn't lose much.

I've got about 8 SD cards between phones, cameras, and Pis, only had a problem with 2 of them. Most are Sandisk. I do have a couple of USB drives about 10 years old that will crash a machine hard if I try to read from them.

I think superficially treating them like hard drives as far as formatting and such works, but as the technology matures I could see coming up with some utilities that deal specifically with their quirks. There's a little stuff at https://www.sdcard.org/

Copying off, then copying back, hmm, sounds a little like magnetic tape. A good idea though.

runboy93

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:00 pm

Try this model:
SDSQXCG-032G-GN6MA

It's improved version from Extreme Pro series, and yet it's cheaper than earlier model on most websites that are selling it.
Aluminum case for Raspberry Pi 3
https://goo.gl/3QRuVw

RPi 3 tweaks by runboy93
https://goo.gl/o8grny

DougieLawson

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:32 pm

I suspect the best 32GB SDCard to use is the one destined for the International Space Station where a failure needs a three and a half hour re-entry and landing in Kazakhstan, a long while on the ground and a three hour flight from Baikonur and hour and a half docking to go to the shops for a new one.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/astro-pi-upgrades/
They're going to fly the Samsung Evo MB-MP32DA/EU SDCards up there.

You're not going to want those to break too often, as that round trip is going to cost a fortune.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

ab1jx

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:53 pm

Interesting. I'm watching my Sandisk 32 and 128 go in for warranty replacement. You could put a spare SD in a reader plugged into a USB port, but you'd have to have it running and change your fstab and cmdline.txt to change where it boots from. Might be best to use USB boots by default then they're easier to change.

Ronaldlees

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:35 pm

ab1jx wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:53 pm
Interesting. I'm watching my Sandisk 32 and 128 go in for warranty replacement. You could put a spare SD in a reader plugged into a USB port, but you'd have to have it running and change your fstab and cmdline.txt to change where it boots from. Might be best to use USB boots by default then they're easier to change.
Taking the case apart is a PITA, I have to admit. I've been thinking about running a uSD extension cable to the case wall, and then cobble-up some kind of connector (that hopefully doesn't look too ugly). Maybe ther's a better looking one available somewhere like Amazon, that could be mounted on the case? I have a larger case than most folks, and use real connectors for the most part (not just a hole in the case).

Ab1jx sounds ham.
I am The Umbrella Man

ab1jx

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:24 pm

Ronaldlees wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:35 pm
Taking the case apart is a PITA, I have to admit. I've been thinking about running a uSD extension cable to the case wall, and then cobble-up some kind of connector (that hopefully doesn't look too ugly). Maybe ther's a better looking one available somewhere like Amazon, that could be mounted on the case? I have a larger case than most folks, and use real connectors for the most part (not just a hole in the case).
Or maybe the SD card needs a handle, maybe shaped like a key or popsicle stick. So you don't have to open a case, you just plug the SD card in through a hole, wouldn't matter if the case was 4 inches thick. I'm thinking maintaining a device on some sort of mission where the primary goal isn't fitting the maximum number of cards in the least space. A microsd is so small it scares me, I'm careful to keep them in envelopes or some container. Drop one on a shag carpet and finding it could take a while. Outdoors in grass, forget it.

I like the official cases I have, although the Pi is so small and light compared to the cables that it takes careful planning to have it sitting on its feet. If my overtemperature icon comes on I just reach over and pop the top off the case. Oh, you could rack-mount about 4 Pis to one panel about 5 inches high, with power supplies and connectors.
Ab1jx sounds ham.
Yup. I've been licensed twice, and with another ham I've known in real life for 35 years or so we figured out that it's the technology and studying that's more interesting than being on the air. I have to put up antennas and run hundreds of transmitter watts to talk to someone I can talk to on the internet? Nah. Plenty of hams don't have much besides the weather to talk about. It's nice to have the capability and I'll do the paperwork to keep the license active. Actually I'm starting to get into SDR from the perspective of writing the software to figure out how it works. But I've got SETI in mind more than actually talking to anybody. And I worked 20 years as an electronics technician, 10 in consumer electronics, 10 in science.

Ronaldlees

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:03 pm

ab1jx wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:24 pm
Ab1jx sounds ham.

Yup. I've been licensed twice, and with another ham I've known in real life for 35 years or so we figured out that it's the technology and studying that's more interesting than being on the air. I have to put up antennas and run hundreds of transmitter watts to talk to someone I can talk to on the internet? Nah. Plenty of hams don't have much besides the weather to talk about. It's nice to have the capability and I'll do the paperwork to keep the license active. Actually I'm starting to get into SDR from the perspective of writing the software to figure out how it works. But I've got SETI in mind more than actually talking to anybody. And I worked 20 years as an electronics technician, 10 in consumer electronics, 10 in science.
Started with "RX only" via my "Elmer" back in the late sixties. My Elmer helped me build the RX with a cereal-box PCB and a shoebox case. First got licensed in early seventies (71' ?). Now age is showing. Anyway, I like operating just for the CW, I suppose in the same way some people like to play the guitar, which I'm lousy at.

- WB8LZR
I am The Umbrella Man

ab1jx

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:58 pm

Ah, OK, about the same time I had an uncle that gave me a used Hallicrafters S-110 or S-120 5 tube radio with 3 or 4 bands. Then I mowed lawns and pulled weeds to earn enough to afford my first Heathkit 3 tube superregen. In high school a buddy of mine and I bought Realistic DX-150s. We used to listen to hams, mostly 80 meter AM, but didn't know any. I guess my Elmer would be an ex-neighbor of my exwife and his wife. They were both electrical engineering majors and drilled me in the code. I was living near Boston so I drove to the FCC office and did my technician class license. Had maybe 2 cw QSOs and my DX-100 power transformer went up in smoke. About 1977. Lost interest until about 2008 when the FCC had dropped the code requirement. Studied a month and jumped from nothing to Extra class in one evening.
RX with a cereal-box PCB and a shoebox case
That sounds like fun, I never did have a working crystal radio.

I need to find a forum where people talk about the nuts and bolts of SDR. I have some RTL2832 dongles, I started with rtl_tcp then more recently librtlsdr to get an IQ stream. I use fftw (actually fftwf) and sometimes I see peaks for signals
gain_auto_wfcr.gif
gain_auto_wfcr.gif (9.82 KiB) Viewed 233 times
and sometimes not. My next effort will be to write a version (in C) that loops through parameters like RF and IF gain and dumps out tab-delimited files and Gnuplot scripts and generates plots at the different settings. I think I'm probably overloading the dongle by running the gains too high, which makes the signals go away. And in some places I read that dongles with the R820T tuner chip (like mine) don't have an IF gain setting even though librtlsdr lets me set one.

But I've been playing around with plotting methods too
Because the graphics on the screen need to move, which is tricky in X. And I'm keeping an eye on CPU usage. I've been through framebuffer graphics, vnclib virtual framebuffers, now I've come back to just drawing in XLib. Except I want some widgets for buttons, frequency readout, etc, so probably Motif since it's easier than GTK. Except my peaks keep going away. This was just xlib, I think.
early_all-pi2.png
early_all-pi2.png (10.63 KiB) Viewed 233 times
So still radio. I've used SDR software like GQRX, hdsdr, sdrsharp, but I wanted to understand better how they actually work.

BTW your name made me look up ka2rrz whose name is also Ron. A transplant from upstate NY to TN. He was just starting to get into Arduinos last I knew about 2014. He's on Yahoo mail which screws up a lot and blocks my Gmail, eventually we gave up. A couple people I knew in high school are in SC.

ab1jx

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:59 pm

runboy93 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:00 pm
Aluminum case for Raspberry Pi 3
https://goo.gl/3QRuVw
Ordered one of those and a power supply. Funny how people not into radio don't understand the importance of containing computer generated RF trash in metal boxes.

Return to “Recommended peripherals”