mjtessmer

Re: EMBIR-JX

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:45 pm

I am not following your math. I thought each chip can only do 16 I/O's. 5 IC's
* 16 gives 80 I/O's?? Am I missing some thing?

I thought that 5 Boards (with 2 chips each) would give 160 I/Os.

Pepito

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:09 am

Hi mjtessmer,
yes, you are right. Was late yesterday, answer from italien restaurant by small mobile phone.
One iC_JX chip has 16 IO ports, 2 iC_JX chips are on board ( EMBIR_JX ) = 32 IO's.
Without modification it's possible to have 2 EMBIR_JX stacked on Raspberry PI ( no cable required ).
Result: 64 IO's
If the 2. SPI CS of the GPIO from RPI is in use ( 4 x EMBIR_JX ), it's possible to have 128 IO's.
One change in PCB, open connection to CS0, new connection to CS1 for the 2. pair of EMBIR_JX.

With a new PCB it's possible to use 6 iC_JX chips to get 6 x 16 = 96 IO's.
4 on CS0 and 2 on CS1 ..... may be with the option to add 2 more chips.

Each output is able to drive 150mA constant and 500mA pulse, so think about the PCB.
Makes sense to place optocouplers in SPI interface. Good to have wide traces and metal fill for GND.

Pepito

Pepito

EMBIR-JX new PCB

Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:57 pm

I'm thinking about a new PCB for EMBIR_JX, more compact and with smaller connectors.
Max 4 chips on board, for 64 programmable digital / analog IO's. :!:

Pepito

rasMM

Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:09 pm

Hello!

Congratulation for your project! That's really nice! I also thought about using the iC-JX from iC-Haus. Are you still working with this project?

Please, would it be possible to provide the schematic in PDF format? That would be great!

rasMM

Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:11 pm

Hello!

Congratulation for your project! That's really nice! I also thought about using the iC-JX from iC-Haus. Are you still working with this project?

Please, would it be possible to provide the schematic in PDF format? That would be great!

Pepito

Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:25 pm

Schematic in PDF is not a problem.But I need some time, I'm on vacation.
If it's urgent please download the free version of Target PCB and load directly the providet file. It's more or less self explaining, not an issue to create any file format out of the Target PCB tool. But use the free version from Ing. Büro Friedrich, others may expect different file Format.
Pepito

rasMM

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 pm

Hi Pepito,

thanks for your answer! No, it's not urgent. Enjoy your holiday!
A schematic in PDF would be very nice when you are back. And only if it's no big work for you. I use Linux and would prefer not to install any program only to convert one document.

All the best
rasMM

Pepito

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:05 am

http://www.target-3001.de/target/v15/en ... ewer_e.exe
That one works together with wine.
Then you are able to open / convert / print the other provided schematics / pcb's also. Let me know if you are interested in other extensions for RPI. Have some more working stuff, not yet published.
Pepito

rasMM

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:58 am

Pepito wrote:http://www.target-3001.de/target/v15/en ... ewer_e.exe
That one works together with wine.
I tried it in a QEMU virtual machine with Windows 2000, but it didn't work and I really don't want to put wine into my "clean" Linux system. When you would have some minutes in the next weeks, please perhaps could you convert the schematic to pdf, this would be very nice!
Pepito wrote:Let me know if you are interested in other extensions for RPI. Have some more working stuff, not yet published.
Oh great, what are you planning?

Pepito

EMBIR-JX PDF Files

Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:53 pm

Hi,
here you can find the schematic and layout files in PDF format.
The LED's are normally required for debug only :!: .
Schematic page 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ougr9hxu5vhpr ... 1.pdf?dl=0
Schematic page 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/07ljveg0bwnst ... 2.pdf?dl=0

Layout: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7pkxzch4eb72 ... t.pdf?dl=0
Layout top: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ne9jfzumaflts ... p.pdf?dl=0
Layout bot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8428p04458rh2 ... t.pdf?dl=0

Please use the free Target viewer to create Gerber files if required.
Remember, the oscillator, the voltage reference and the jumper for the voltage reference are not really required.

Pepito

Pepito

Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:10 am

Energy efficient relay driver with diagnostic function is available.
Starts with high current, then the current is reduced to the "hold" current.
Result: 40% to 60% better efficiency, longer lifetime of the relay, reduced size of power supply.
Diagnostics: current control, temperature control, possible to detect hanging relay and broken wire
Currents are programmable. One side effect is, that e.g. a 6V relay can be used in wide voltage rage, because driven by constant current.
Prototype has 4 relay drivers on one PCB, same size as RPI, also possible to stack on top of EMBIR-JX.
110V/220V is dangerous, the distance to low voltage is always > 5mm, but it's very easy to bridge that with a finger :!:

Pepito

rasMM

Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:43 am

Do/will you use the driver IC's from iC-Haus for this? If yes, which?

Pepito

Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:53 am

yes, iC-JE for my prototype, http://www.ichaus.de/product/iC-JE
thinking about iC-GE, http://www.ichaus.de/product/iC-GE
but currently I do not need 1A current, because I'm using small Panasonic DE relays ( 400V/16A ).
Pepito

Oldchatterman

Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:31 pm

Interesting project. I was looking for an IO board for home automation purposes. IC-JX is very interesting. I would like to interface the IC-JX with Arduino, is it difficult to port the code to Arduino?

Pepito

Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:21 am

Think that's very easy.You have to modify just some lines of code in provided driver. SPI initialisation and the read from and write to SPI functions. That's it. All others can stay as it is. Without Linux OS you can use the example shell script as "template" for your application in C or C++.
Let me know how it works.
Pepito

sriramsass

Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:27 pm

Hi Pepito
I am Suresh from India. I am interested in your board design. Have you any ready to sell pieces. Would like to get more details about the board. Can you share your contact details if that is possible
Bye

Pepito wrote:If you need filter in front of the analog inputs, ok, there is still some space on the pcb.
Will provide the Target PCB & Gerber sources, for free of course. Then you can add what you need.
Analog out is a good idea. Space for AD converter is available, but not for additional connector.
Think it's better to design EMBIR-AD, same size, with good AD on it.

Some more Information out of my spec ( still working on it ):

– Short-circuit-proof highside drivers with diagnosis function
– 500 mA pulse and 150 mA permanent load driving capability
– Active clamp circuit for use with inductive loads
– Load diagnosis for driver current, output voltage and impedance (cable fractures, load resistance and short circuits)
– Pull-up/Pull-down current sources (0.2, 0.6, 2 mA) configurable
– 10-bit A/D converter for sensing and diagnosis measurement
– Safety features: voltage and ground monitor, temperature sensor with warning and shutdown features, power output enable
– Programmable interrupt generation with event storage
– Variable digital filters for the debouncing of I/O signals

Thinking about optocoupler for SPI, makes sense?

Pepito

sriramsass

Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:43 am

As of now I just need Digital Inputs and Outputs. 8 in and 8 out. Probably analog inputs for teh future. Can you provide the details

Pepito

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:22 am

I'm not selling any parts for EMBIR-JX, all sources are available for free. You can download, modify, if required for any reason, and use it.
Think all the parts are available at electronic parts distribution.
Remember, the quartz qszillator and the voltage reference are not required in 99% of all cases.
LED's are only required for debug.
Let me know if you need any assistance.
Pepito

sriramsass

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:53 am

Hi
I really appreciate your prompt reply and support. I shall try to download the schematics , gerber whatever available. I shall give this a try. Thanks very very much

Pepito

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:01 am

@sriramsass ... Your requirements fit perfectly to EMBIR-JX. You can configure in groups of 4 IO's what you need. ( digital input, high side driver or analog Input ).
The used Chip is extremly robust, there is no buffer required.
Pepito

Pepito

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:02 am

Pepito wrote:@sriramsass ... Your requirements fit perfectly to EMBIR-JX. You can configure in groups of 4 IO's to your needs. ( digital input, high side driver or analog Input ).
The used Chip is extremly robust, there is no buffer required.
Pepito

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”