dasmanul

Re: TinyTOSLINK (digital audio output) now for B+, too

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:28 am

Jörg, do you still have any boards available? I'm currently building up a multi room audio system with Pi's and could use one for one of my rooms.

I have just registered here and it seems I can't send any PMs yet...

Thanks in advance and greetings from Frankfurt,

Manuel

Periklis

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:01 pm

I hope you still have one!

Dlegend

Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:14 pm

Hi Jorg,

looks like i am in the same boat as dasmanul above, just discovered this and registered on the board so i cannot PM.

Are there still boards available?

Cheers
Dean

birop

Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:21 am

Dear Jörg,

I would buy one of this gadget for my just ordered Raspberry Pi 2 Model B.
Please, send the ordering details to me.

Thanks, in advance!

Peter

Man in a van

Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:33 pm

Periklis

Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:13 pm

I have received my tiny toslink very quickly so I have to thank Jorg.
I have a RPi 2 and I have openelec 5.0.8 installed through noob setup. I did the folowing changes to config.txt
dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi
dtdebug=1
I also have tvheadend installed in order to watch TV channels. When I enable the ALSA audio out I have a lot of frames drop on TV. If i choose analog out I have no problem. I also tryed with a movie from a HD and there is no problem with none of the configurations.
So my problem is with tvheadend and I can not watch TV.
Does any one know what can I do?

foresto

Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:43 pm

Periklis wrote:I have received my tiny toslink very quickly so I have to thank Jorg.
I have a RPi 2 and I have openelec 5.0.8 installed through noob setup. I did the folowing changes to config.txt
dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi
dtdebug=1
I also have tvheadend installed in order to watch TV channels. When I enable the ALSA audio out I have a lot of frames drop on TV. If i choose analog out I have no problem. I also tryed with a movie from a HD and there is no problem with none of the configurations.
So my problem is with tvheadend and I can not watch TV.
Does any one know what can I do?
I have a similar problem on OpenELEC: With some content, video playback gets choppy when I'm doing audio passthrough to the TinyTOSLINK. I have not seen the problem when using HDMI audio passthrough.

It happens with some H.264 video files, but not others. Playing the files locally vs. over a network does not seem to make a difference. I don't have a Live TV feed.

I'm not convinced that video frames are actually being dropped; it might be that they're just not displayed smoothly.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's likely a kernel/driver/software problem, but I don't know that for sure.

Here's a thread I started about it. Feel free to share your findings over there.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228344

hansbeekhuyzen

Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:34 pm

To make my life easier when measuring USB d/a-converters I'm looking for a way to convert SPDIF digital audio to USB so the SPDIF output of my measuring set can be fed into the USB input off the DAC on test. Can the SPDIF input of your board be sent (unaltered) to the USB output?

pag

Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi Jörg,

I'm also hoping you still have these boards - they look excellent. Will PM your order form when I'm allowed...

Great work!

Many thanks,
Ian

[IDC]Dragon

Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:25 pm

Hello everyone,

demand for TinyTOSLINK was quite high. Now the box is empty. I almost forgot to keep a few for myself, while the last ones were leaving.
I'm not sure if or how to proceed, whether I'll have more built. Right now it feels like I need some time for other projects...

I appreciate your interest, but please don't send order forms any more.

Sorry to tell,
Jörg

Floki73

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:13 pm

Hello Jörg,
really not a single one left? I am really looking forward getting one. :(

Beste regards

Florian

huopa

Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:59 am

Let me also know if this board becomes available at any time, would be very useful also. I just joined the board to try to get one before I realized they were out already. I appreciate the time it took to make this in the first place though, great stuff.

pag

Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:42 pm

With the new pi zero, you could make a tiny media player...

Please? ;)

NoSpecialSymbol

Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:00 pm

Dear Jörg,

really, really amazing work! I would be very interested in making one (i.s.o. buying one). Are you willing to share more insights on the layout of your PCB? Do you think it could be made single-sided? I can't tell from the images what exactly is on the other side (the "dark" side of the board ;-).

I have no commercial interest whatsoever. I am aware that buying the pieces is probably much more expensive than simply ordering one at eBay. It's for the fun of it!

Thanks for any feedback!

Christian

Edit: I figured out that the audio transmitter probably needs to be set up as what is called "hardware control mode" in the WM8804 data sheet. However, I still need some help with the schematic, in particular which pins of the Raspberry Pi2 need to be connected. Anyone willing to join in this project?

NoSpecialSymbol

Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:00 pm

Dear Forum,

I'm attaching a (half-baked) schematic file for the popular Eagle PCB layout editor. The plan is to create a very simple optical TOSLINK output board for the Raspberry 1/2 B+ with a small footprint to fit into the common cases.

If anyone who knows what he or she is doing would be willing to join, I'd appreciate any help with the remaining wiring!

Thanks folks!
Attachments
Rockaberry.sch.zip
Zipped Schematic (Eagle PCB)
(36.8 KiB) Downloaded 1056 times

Periklis

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:12 pm

Last week I updated my Openelec to 6.0.0 ( I had 5.0.8) and all the problems I had are gone.

sebastian753

Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:13 pm

NoSpecialSymbol wrote:Dear Forum,

I'm attaching a (half-baked) schematic file for the popular Eagle PCB layout editor. The plan is to create a very simple optical TOSLINK output board for the Raspberry 1/2 B+ with a small footprint to fit into the common cases.

If anyone who knows what he or she is doing would be willing to join, I'd appreciate any help with the remaining wiring!

Thanks folks!
Hi NoSpecialSymbol,

I'd like to join your little project. I even have some electronic skills ;-) I want to build one of these output boards myself. So I'm very interested to hear more from you!

== Sebastian

BenjaminKe

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi Jörg,

I can't send you a private message so I'm just posting here.

Would you share your schematic?

I would like to create such a device on my own.

If people are interested I can also create/order some more PCBs and parts and share it also with other people.

Best Regards
Benjamin

NoSpecialSymbol

Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:05 pm

Hi Benjamin,

I'd like to join for the PCB. I have the parts, and a first draft of a schematic.

BenjaminKe

Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:58 pm

I tried to finish your schematic (see attached).

Do you already have the optical connectors (PLT133)?
It looks like they are not so easy to get.
Attachments
Rockaberry - v0.1.zip
(48.85 KiB) Downloaded 994 times

NoSpecialSymbol

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:56 pm

Dear Benjamin,

thanks for sharing! I'll have a look at the schematic.

Yes, I have two optical transmitters, which I got from Mouser. However, I think I saw them at Conrad, too (if are you located in Germany).

It was surprisingly tricky to get the 40pin - female connector (the "hat") for the board. I ordered 10 at eBay in China.

Sincerely,
Christian

NoSpecialSymbol

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:33 pm

Dear Benjamin,

thanks again for reviewing and completing the schematic!

Questions:

1. I've added serial 220 Ohms resistors to the data lines. I assume they are for protection in case of short-circuited pins?
2. R10 and R12: these seem to be pull-up / pull-downs. Shouldn't these have some more than 470 Ohms (10k or so)?
3. C4 and C5 need to be 13pF for the oscillator I got from Mouser (not sure if that makes a difference)
4. I've seen board layouts with an additional serial inductor on the supply voltage. Not sure if that is necessary, though.

What does the EEPROM do?

Thanks again!
Christian

BenjaminKe

Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:55 am

Hi Christian,

I'm from Austria ;)
And I also ordered now some transmitters and oscillators from mouser and some WM8804 from China (20 pieces each).
My plan is to make also 20 PCBs - so if someone needs PCB/Parts just contact me.

1.:
The original HifiBerry boards have it.
I also think that it's just a protection (for example in case there is no HifiBerry software loaded and the portpin is configured as output).
The tinyToslink boards from Jörg don't have it so I guess it's also working without them.

2.:
I don't really know what these resistors are for.
Some HifiBerry boards have it (newer ones) and some doesn't.
I didn't found a picture from HifiBerry which is good enough to show the values.
Maybe it's just to check the hardware version of the board and set up the driver correct?
This needs to be tried out when the board is completed.
At least it's in the layout to be on the safe side - the value can be changed easily.

3.:
My oscillator has 15pF in the datasheet (I have a very small one).
But it shouldn't make a difference.

4.:
Some boards have it, but the HifiBerry Digi boards don't have it, so I guess it's not neccessary.
If the supply should be better I would even prefer to add a extra 3.3V regulator instead of a supply filter (some old HifiBerry boards have this).

The EEPROM is for future features (not implemented yet, but the newest HifiBerry boards already have it on it).
The plan is that the Raspberry Pi detects which board is plugged in with the EEPROM and loads the corresponding drivers/applications automatically.
Basically like USB.
I just put it in the layout to be on the safe side - I will not assemble it for now.

I attached also my first version of the layout.
I kept some connectors free in the middle to be able to connect also other things here (I need to connect my Ambilight here :D ).
So I will cut the 20 pin header and solder 2 smaller headers on it.
I tried to keep it quite small.
Maybe I can add the 200Ohm resistors and make it a little bit smaller when I put some resistors on the bottom side - I'll try.

Best Regards
Benjamin
Attachments
Layout.PNG
Layout.PNG (57.06 KiB) Viewed 5390 times

BenjaminKe

Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:19 pm

UPDATE:

4 resistors added as short circuit protection (same as HifiBerry).
improved the layout (made it even a little bit smaller).
PCBs ordered and on the way :)
Attachments
Layout.PNG
Layout.PNG (44.54 KiB) Viewed 5354 times

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”