timt

LCD Screens that work with B+

Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:00 am

Hi,

Anybody have experience with a screen that works with the B+? Can I just blindly use any screen from the B and expect it to work?

Thanks!

Jim JKla

Re: LCD Screens that work with B+

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:05 am

Your at the front line

The B+ is so new that the only people that can try this out are those that have done the research on a B and have just bought a B+ to find out the answer to the question your asking.

I can see you have two posibilities look for one that worked with a B and dive in.
or
Sit back untill we get a handle on the differences between the B and B+

It has to be your choice. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

AndrewS

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:46 pm

I presume the vendors of the screens (and other Pi add-ons) will soon start listing whether they're compatible with the Model B+ or not... ?

RaTTuS

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Anything that just plugs into the GPIO header block show be fine,,,, [YMMV]

I know my pi-lite works fine [with a insulator pad over the new USB] - obviously not a screen but Meh
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

timt

Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:05 am

Great thanks for the feedback. I'll give it a try and let you know!

rfrazier

Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:19 am

Hi Timt,

As far as I know, the 1st 26 gpio pins on the b+ are electrically the same as the 1st 26 gpio pins on the b. So, if you can connect an older screen design to those pins, it should work.

However, there may be a physical problem connecting to the new 40 pin connector. I haven't tried this, but based on reading, the shell of a 26 pin connector may physically clash with the 40 pin connector. This applies also to some of the ribbon cables and breakout products. So, check with the vendors and docs to see if you can physically attach the screen to the b+. Also, the layout of components and physical connectors has changed, which you also have to consider. Otherwise, you should be good.

Sincerely,

Ron
(PS - If you email me and don't get a quick response, you might want to send again after a couple of weeks. I don't always see new email messages quickly.)
Ron's Tech Rant Blog: techstarship.com - Blog RSS: techstarship.com/feed/
Ron Frazier

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:57 am

Note that if you try to fit a 26-pole cable or connector they may well clash with the next two pins of the 40-pole header (pin 27 & 28). But if you know that these two pins are there for interfacing with a HAT EEPROM, then in principle, (if you know your PI will never be used with a HAT board) you could simply bend pins 27 and 28 away, (or even cut them off) so that the 26-pole connector fits.

Also, if you want to use a 40 pin bandcable connector you have laying around, but it has one hole blocked as a key for preventing plugging in the cable the wrong way, then note that this is pin 20, and pin 20 happens to be a GND pin!
So to fit the bandcable connector you could decide to cut pin 20 off.

AndrewS

Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:45 pm

I guess by "bandcable" you mean IDE cable?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:22 pm

mahjongg wrote: ...
Also, if you want to use a 40 pin bandcable connector you have laying around, but it has one hole blocked as a key for preventing plugging in the cable the wrong way, then note that this is pin 20, and pin 20 happens to be a GND pin!
So to fit the bandcable connector you could decide to cut pin 20 off.
Which has the advantage that you are much less likely to plug it in the wrong way round.
As it happens, for now, I've just converted an old IDE cable (w/o the key) into a 40way to 26way adapter cable and am using it to (re-)test some of my existing boards (that use a cable connection):
http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... -pin_cable
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

EnzioBrK

Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:42 pm

I have a C-Berry tft display 320x240 and works on B+ just like it dose on mode B. Hope this helps.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:02 am

As does my 2.8" design - as has previously been stated, most, if not all the display boards (in fact probably any other add-on board for the Pi) should 'just work' if they were originally designed for the Pi. As mine design can be fitted to directly to the GPIO connector, or via a ribbon cable, you just need to find the correct cable - ie 40 to 26 way (probably!).

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Jim JKla

Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:09 am

No you just need to plug a 26 way onto the 40 pin GPIO you may need to bend two pins out of the way slightly or if you are making a permanent connection cut of the two pins getting in the way. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

fruit-uk

Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:08 pm

The PiFace CAD (Control and Display) works fine on a B+ although does not fit comfortably without a header exension as it fouls one of the USB ports.

I'm running one here on a PiRack along with a Piface Digital and Sheepwalk Electronics RPI3 1-wire interface

psutton

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:59 pm

rfrazier wrote:Hi Timt,

As far as I know, the 1st 26 gpio pins on the b+ are electrically the same as the 1st 26 gpio pins on the b. So, if you can connect an older screen design to those pins, it should work.

However, there may be a physical problem connecting to the new 40 pin connector. I haven't tried this, but based on reading, the shell of a 26 pin connector may physically clash with the 40 pin connector. This applies also to some of the ribbon cables and breakout products. So, check with the vendors and docs to see if you can physically attach the screen to the b+. Also, the layout of components and physical connectors has changed, which you also have to consider. Otherwise, you should be good.

Sincerely,

Ron

Yes the first 26 pins are the same, i found a guide to this the other day as a graphic so put it on my blog so I could share it with people http://zleap.net/raspberry-pi-pin-outs/ covers A, B, B+ Hope this helps

Paul

AndrewS

Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:46 pm

psutton wrote:Yes the first 26 pins are the same, i found a guide to this the other day as a graphic so put it on my blog so I could share it with people http://zleap.net/raspberry-pi-pin-outs/ covers A, B, B+ Hope this helps
It's considered awfully rude to just steal an image, without giving credit to the original author/website http://raspi.tv/2014/rpi-gpio-quick-ref ... berry-pi-b
:(

awatterott

Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:15 pm

We have just released our popular RPi-Display for the B+ model.
https://github.com/watterott/RPi-Display
http://www.watterott.com/en/RPi-Display-B-Plus

Regards
Andreas

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”