Sandgrounder

New B+ Case from Farnell

Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Having been very pleased with everything else from Farnell, I have to say that I am not impressed with the new B+ cases.

The old cases for the Model B were (are?) far superior:-
- a much more substantial plastic body
- "clear" meant clear; the new ones are opaque!
- LEDs were properly visible
- cases used to be stackable - for multi-CPU projects

And, what are those two tiny scres for?

RaTTuS

Re: New B+ Case from Farnell

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:06 pm

link to case?
I assume the screws are for mounting it on somewhere [the case that is]
as for stacking
take a bunch of motherboard standoffs and use those to stack the rpi's vertically ?
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

piglet

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:12 pm

I got one of those black cases. Hate it. No documentation.

Slot board into groove on one side and on to barbs on the other side and press down. That took several goes to work right and align the holes - only to find that I couldn't get the micro-SD card in. Getting it apart was tricky and required more force than expected.

I've shoved it behind the family TV out of sight. I'll not be buying another.

I also ended up with two screws and no obvious place to put them other than the "box-o-bits"

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:18 pm

I've got a Pibow B+ Coupe case, and am pretty pleased with it. But because of the shape cannot be stacked (normal PiB+ow can be though).
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:25 pm

Well, you can't argue about taste, but many competing enclosures for the B+ are already available, or will be soon.
one example is the hot chilly red "Pibow coupé, but available in other colours too http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/b-pibow-coupe"

I had a look at Farnells offering, and can give some comments.

Firstly the two screws are there to internally mount the camera board, its where the circular opening is for that I was wondering about when I first saw the MC-RP002, its the lens opening for the camera!

As for the LED's, it appears there are openings in the case for the two LED's on the board (PWR & ACT).

In contrast to the old A and B boards the LED's are now placed at the edge of the board, and shine their light sideways through the openings in the case, but I have seen they are bright enough to shine through opaque plastic too.

The other two (Ethernet) LED's are now on the Ethernet connector. A much better solution than having them on the board.

MrEngman

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:36 pm

mahjongg wrote:The other two (Ethernet) LED's are now on the Ethernet connector. A much better solution than having them on the board.
You really think so? On all my Pi except for the B+ I can see the Ethernet LEDs with no trouble. On my B+ I cannot see them unless I lean over my table and lift up the B+. Really awkward.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

jamesh

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:59 pm

MrEngman wrote:
mahjongg wrote:The other two (Ethernet) LED's are now on the Ethernet connector. A much better solution than having them on the board.
You really think so? On all my Pi except for the B+ I can see the Ethernet LEDs with no trouble. On my B+ I cannot see them unless I lean over my table and lift up the B+. Really awkward.

MrEngman
Well, they have been on the plugs on desktops for some years now....must make them very difficult to spot.... ;)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Cancelor

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:50 pm

You can't please all the people all the time.
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

Pi_Fanatic

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:29 pm

The new cases are quite ingenious actually. Not too mention that the case is sub $8 in most markets. For that you get a case that will hold both the Pi and the Pi Camera, Can be wall mounted and has GPIO access. For sure there are more expensive laser cut cases on the market (Pibow comes to mind) but for a general utility case these cases are a good choice. I actually like my clear case.

Pi_Fanatic

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:18 pm

MrEngman wrote:

MrEngman
really the only time you will need to look at these LED's, is directly after you plugged in a cable int the RJ-45 port, looking at the LED's below that very port seems very natural to me!

Note that the LED's only indicate if there is a connection, and which kind of connection it is.

MrEngman

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:22 pm

mahjongg wrote:
MrEngman wrote:

MrEngman
really the only time you will need to look at these LED's, is directly after you plugged in a cable int the RJ-45 port, looking at the LED's below that very port seems very natural to me!

Note that the LED's only indicate if there is a connection, and which kind of connection it is.
And not only that but also if there is data being transfered. If the ethernet port is actively transfering data the LNK LED flashes on a B1 or B2. On the B+ the green LED flashes if the port is actively transfering data, the only trouble is, because of the way it is connected and where the wires run, I cannot see it.

MrEngman

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

AndrewS

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:29 pm

MrEngman wrote:On the B+ the green LED flashes if the port is actively transfering data, the only trouble is, because of the way it is connected and where the wires run, I cannot see it.
If it's that important, you could maybe build a small mirror using some tinfoil? I always knew watching Blue Peter would come in handy one day! :lol:

MrEngman

Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:17 am

AndrewS wrote:
MrEngman wrote:On the B+ the green LED flashes if the port is actively transfering data, the only trouble is, because of the way it is connected and where the wires run, I cannot see it.
If it's that important, you could maybe build a small mirror using some tinfoil? I always knew watching Blue Peter would come in handy one day! :lol:
It's not exactly important, just rather convenient. Tinfoil next to my PI. You must be joking. Just imagine if somehow the Pi ends up sitting on the tin foil. Smoked raspberries for tea. :cry:

MrEngman

AndrewS

Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:44 am

Well, if there's a risk of that (i.e. if your Pi and 'mirror' aren't fixed in place) then you obviously just cover the tinfoil in sellotape sticky-backed-plastic ;)

samury

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:58 am

I'd really like to know what those two screws are for too. There's no apparent purpose unless you want to mount an SD card above the board and ruin it for no apparent reason. Otherwise, the case seems to work well with the new format.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:49 pm

what I think is that the screws can be used to mount the camera to the inside of the top half of the case.

panik

Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:16 pm

mahjongg wrote:what I think is that the screws can be used to mount the camera to the inside of the top half of the case.
I don't have this case myself, but my camera boards came with fairly long flex cables.

How would those fit inside the case? Are there shorter flex cables available that would make this an actually usable feature?
Microcontroller addon boards and software for Raspberry Pi A+/B+/Pi2:
- ARMinARM: ARM Cortex-M3 (STM32)
- AVRPi: ATmega32U4 & ATmega328 ("Arduino")
http://www.onandoffables.com

AndrewS

Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:20 pm

panik wrote:Are there shorter flex cables available that would make this an actually usable feature?
I guess you didn't think to ask Google? ;)
http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspb ... mera-cable
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1645

panik

Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:23 pm

^ Actually I did, but it turns out my google fu is not as strong as yours. Thanks!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:25 pm

panik wrote:
mahjongg wrote:what I think is that the screws can be used to mount the camera to the inside of the top half of the case.
I don't have this case myself, but my camera boards came with fairly long flex cables.

How would those fit inside the case? Are there shorter flex cables available that would make this an actually usable feature?
I would simply fold them up "harmonica style".

AndrewS

Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:40 pm

panik wrote:^ Actually I did, but it turns out my google fu is not as strong as yours. Thanks!
I just googled for "raspberry pi camera cables" :|

panik

Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:36 am

Not sure what search terms I used, but google seemed to think there was something short that needed enlarging. :shock:

I'd rather not talk about it.

AndrewS

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:17 pm

:lol:

glossywhite

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:22 pm

I see lots of chatter about this case, but no link to the subject of this discussion. It would have been better to include a link, so people like me - and anyone else with eyes - knows what you're talking about, you know?

Just an idea... that's all. :)

AndrewS

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:01 am

glossywhite wrote:I see lots of chatter about this case, but no link to the subject of this discussion. It would have been better to include a link, so people like me - and anyone else with eyes - knows what you're talking about, you know?

Just an idea... that's all. :)
Not so hard to find ;) http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/mc-rp00 ... dp/2426744

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”